Alcoholic, Living with an Community
oh no another one goes away

This patient support community is for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit for discussions relating to abuse, behavioral issues, caring for yourself, counseling, divorce and separation, enabling, guilt, and when to get medical help.

oh no another one goes away

So if you have been keeping up with me..my mom is here ( eyes rolled). i dislike my mom. very much so. (sigh). for years as long as i can remember my mom drinks. HEAVY. I being a past alcholic HATE it. like the grinch hates christmas....

Funny thing is...i gave up on her...i figured she just die a drunk. so harsh but true...i never looked at her like a human..just mom. know what i meam??

Anyways..my mom does not GET pills. she dosent relate. until i told her pills were MY drinks. i told her everything...and...mom wants help. so mom is going to Bradford..where i went. yep. mom broke down and told me she cant stop....by herself. now she wants help. so we are gonna go monday to the place i went to. and sign her up..

Now my moms kind of stuck up..my father is well known where i come from. very well known. and my mom is scared to get help back home..so i suggested getting help here. and she is wiling too.

she sees what a change ive made ( i dont see it). She sees how happy i am within..(she dosent see the struggle). and she wants to go...

Omg..omg..omg..my mom finally is willing to get help..shes right here with me....say hello mom..hello mom she says..anyways. i am so so so so so proud of her...shes shy..she is from Russia and had a hard time fitting in and such being first immigrents and so. but shes gonna take a chance

god hears ALL prayers....hope is alive....so i had to share.. thanks guys
Can anyone help us out who has detoxed from alchol...i dont know if its the same...she wants to know.

And mom says thanks for helping me...she is so glad to have ME back...the real tanya
ive never had an alco prob or detox but my sister and i helped my sisters husband threw it while he was at a detox center in our local erie county medical center. it's different and can be a more dangerous detox,there are stomach issues with detoxing from alco. detox patients have to be closely watched due to it. look up alco detox on google. she's going to really need your support! i'm glad to hear you can put your differences aside for what most important. good luck & god bless! congrats on helping her threw the first step!

You can take her to out patient treatment for detox and then she will need inpatient treatment for her alcoholism habit all this will help if she is willing to give up drinking.
That is so great about your mom! See what an impact you have made? Unfortunately I don't know enough about slcohol addiction to give any advice but I did want to say kudos to both you and her. :)
great to hear!!
hi bama say hi to your mum too.from talking to alcoholics, the detox is similiar to opiates,very strong craving,insomnia mood swings etc..alcoholics need to taper or medication,just stopping can be very dangerous,especially if she has drank a lot for a long .i would get proffessional advice.take care.chris
What comcerns us is she has drank for over 20 years..the last 10 hard. i mean hard...so yes she has to go inhouse...she wants to know if she will get physically sick like us...i notice she has tremors every morning. so sad. but now she is ready
bama, this is big.  My husband is/was/has been an alcoholic (dual diagnoses with bi-polar) and it has been a hard marriage.  I hope your mother gets the help so she can be the mother you want.  All things in their time.
If she is drinking every day heavily and has for years she will be closely monitored and sedated heavily during the first week.Her sickness will not be like ours but she will be more knocked out than anything.Alcohol leaves the system so rapidly that they have to administer a sedative to avoid seizure.
tell her I know how she felt...I never got alcoholics until I became addicted to pills!  Life does have a sense of humor..dammit!
she will get sick like us the detox is similiar.sweating,moody you know the score
Oh dear we didnt know how serious this is...sezioures. what will they do? shes so scared. i mean she is shakey (shaky) now. and i dont hate my mom. i hate the drinking
.
She has drank 2-4 bottles of wine a day for 20 years. she hasnt missed  a day. she has to sneak whiskey in coffee in morning...its the night time she really gets loose. i love my mom.  but i hate the drimk
that is why rehab is a good place for her to be....all the supports she will need to get well and be healthy!
also because the alcohol leaves the system alot faster the withdrawal will not be nearly as protracted and debilitating over the long term but just like us once that's over then the mental battle will start.
I told her once shes in..shes in. what made her go was johnny...he went on and on about the place....he spends alot of time with her. they GET one another. i wish She would get ME...
yes there can be NO at home detox for that kind of drinking but tell her not to worry because they will in all likelihood give her librium or ativan as soon as her blood alcohol level descends to .08   then it will be alot of bedrest.
Hello tanya friend..thank you for giving me back my girl. i want help too. i sont know what to do anymore. i am scsred annie

If thats the case she will need impatient treatment for detox and her treatment program they have a 28 day program a 90 day program it will be tough but it can be done I done the 28 day program my son done the 90 day program I been sober for a while now my son he is 32 and still falls off the wagon sometimes but he has the knowledge from treatment to stay off the drugs if he wants to thats the trick you got to want to stay clean and sober more than anything else.  
Don't be afraid.They will take very good care of you and they will make you comfortable as you go through this.You can bet on that.All you have to do is go.It is easier than quitting at home and I even missed being there when I left.You can do it
She is going in for 28 days. we can get her home whenever..so yes she admitted she has to go in.
I would just let her drink at a MINIMAL level until time to go especially since she is drinking day and night.good luck
Welcome bama's mom!!! My mother was a hardcore alcoholic as well. She even drank while pregnant with my brother and I!! Of course,that was waayy back when you could  smoke in hospitals. I do remember her going to detox in a facility here though. She was gone for about 1 month I believe and then continued her aftercare through meetings with a counselor as well as attending AA. AA is/was wonderful to her,and what is so nice about AA/NA is that they take the Anonymous part VERY seriously (at least here they do). Anyways...so glad to hear she's going to be getting the help she needs. And even better both of you can be each other's support network as well. So,welcome to the forum! Bama/Tanya..so proud of your progress!! I know you consider yourself only a couple days clean due to surgery,however your mind is strong as is your willpower to overcome. Stay strong!!
She NEEDS a medical detox.  Alcohol wd's can be deadly.  This is nothing to take lightly.  Some of the symptoms can be the same but there are other things that can happen.  She needs to be supervised during this period.  DT's are really rough.  They will know what to do for her and will be able to monitor her during this period.  I wish her all the best~~sara
Thanks ricart. i told her she can drink all the way to the door. i wanted to stay longer. but i couldnt because of physical therapy. now johnny stayed 21 days. he LOVED it there. i dont think rehab is as bad as we make it out to be...

My place was NICE. and johnny loved being SICK with people who were NOT his family. he even talks to a couple of guys he met there. and they go to meerings together. i am floored she wants help. i am flored she admitted she cant stop.alone. o never ever thought sje would go. and my dad is all for it. all the family. she will feel so much better. well she left with johnny to go get wine and dinner. i drank HEAVEY for a year but i stopped. so i dont like alchol. it drives me up the wall. and she is a happy drunk. a mushy drunk. ufh..her smell is too much. but shes gonna fix herself. i told her the same. just try it for 90 days. The wine will wait for you. i rhink she will be here awhile. but who cares..she needs something.