Alcoholism Community
1 day

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

1 day

i have been struggling with alcohol for about 10 years now. come from a family of alcoholics. lost so much i can't even fathom it. rehab didn't work and meetings haven't helped. i'm trying something new with this website and i hope it helps. i know at some point, some sort of meetings are going to have be in the picture. i have very bad social anxiety and they are difficult for me. any advice or support is appreciated. thank you
I know your pain.  My heart goes out to you.  I have been happily off of alcohol for a full month now.  This is after spending years self-medicating with alcohol because of mental issues. I can't beleive my family stood by me for so long.  It took a six-day stint in a psych ward to get me fixed.  That's just me.  Just one day it hit me that I refuse to spend one more minute feeling awful.  I had a severe panic attack that day and required hospital care.  I was given the opportunity to go into mental and behavioral health treatment and grabbed at it like i was starving, signed all the papers and couldn't wait to get there.  It was hard, I won't lie.  But it flipping WORKED.  I don't drink.  I take my meds as prescribed and never abuse them.  My family is overjoyed to have ME back.  That's my story.  I don't know if it's helpful, as we are all different.  I guess I just want you to know that you are NOT alone, and help is available for the asking.  God Bless - Blu
thanks for your comment. i made it today so far with nor drinking. your story sounds a lot like mine.
Hello Eric,

I hope everything is still going well. I guess we all have our story of what it will take and I hope this is it for you. Ten years of drinking is a long time as you know and after a while it takes a toll on our health.

I remember being in that rut so badly it felt like I had to drink just to feel normal. I did it for 20 years and at 38 I was diagnosed with cirrhosis. I too come from a family of alcoholics. It's been more than 3 years now and I tell you life has never been better. Though living with cirrhosis isn't fun it saved me. There's not a day that passes that I would ever choose that lifestyle over this one.

Your trying hard and trust me you won't regret it! There are many people here that have done it and so can you. Classes are always a good idea too. I wish you the best, let us know how its going from time to time.

If your ever feeling tempted just send me a message, I'll be glad to tell you why not to do it.

Take care,

Randy
Haven't heard from you, are you still trying to be sober. I went to a recovery program, outpatient for 10 months. Sometimes we need extra help, I know I did. Go to AA meetings also, find sober friends and keep trying, don't give up. Sober life is great. Sober now for 21 months, life is great, now I have a life and happiness.