90 days
please can someone explain the theory in abstaining from alcohol for 90 days, my alcohol counsellor has put me on a abstinence programme for 90 days, i have also heard that the AA also use this theory, im now on day 14 and hope to keep this up.
Hi Charley,

Actually in AA we have a saying "Try 90 meetings in 90 days. If you don't like how you feel by then, we'll refund you your misery".

Usually, by 90 sober days (and all those meetings later), the new alcoholic will feel pretty well, and the AA program will have made a lasting impression on them. I've seen some people full of willingness to work the 12 steps and begin to want to make changes by then.

Wish you well on your assignment.
Hi charley,

Congrats on 14 days!!!  I always like the saying that was mentioned in the other post.  I crack up everytime I hear it.  Are you going to meetings as well?  If not I strongly recommend it.  They saved my butt many times.  Learning from others who are happily sober is the best way to learn.  At least in my opinion anyway.  I think that 90 days give us a chance to clear our heads a little and allow us to make a better decision.  It gives us a chance to see that life can be better without booze.  Keep sharing and let us know how you're doing.  God Bless!
i attended 1 session at AA but for some reason didnt feel comfortable im seeing alcohol advisor and feel much better with  one to one  sessions. im really determined to keep this up this time as i have failed many times before, but wasnt really in the right frame of mind. starting to feel better already. good to wake up of a weekend without a hangover. x
Yeah,  no hangover is a beautiful thing!!!!!  If a craving or urge comes and you can't get a hold of your counselor please be willing to go back to a mtg.  I understand that might be uncomfortable,  however if that is going to be the only thing between you and a drink the willingness to go may be the thing saves you.  
go to meetings!  you won't be sorry.  every day.  get through the denial

"or we'll refund you your misery" hahaha, i've never heard that, that's good
j34
refund your misery in full lol that is for sure !! 90 meetings in 90 days I did 280 meetings in 90 days one in the morning,afternoon,night.i needed to change all my thinking I needed to get connected to ppl who were living a sober life, I needed to be intergrated to a new way of life ,and today am happy I did that I will never forget the first person I cryed to , laughed with and shared my deepest hurts and I will never forget the feeling I had that I ...a low bottom drunk was liked and wanted around ,unbelievable !! Love my life and wish you the same blessings