Alcoholism Community
Acetaminophen with Alcohol Withdrawal

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Acetaminophen with Alcohol Withdrawal

I've been sober for 37 days from alcohol and I have been taking better care of myself with vitamins and veggies and fruits. So can I take acetaminophen for menstrual cramps only because natural stuff doesn't work.
Congrats on your 37 days.  I am not sure what else you take but I have been sober a little over a year, and I take acetaminophen all the time for headaches.  Good luck!!!
Omg THANK YOU SOOOO much GoPens66!! I've been looking high and low for an answer.
Oh btw, how long did you experience symptoms of alcohol withdrawal syndrome if you did?
Congratulations on your sobriety! You are doing great! Acetaminophen  should be fine and use only as directed. If you have liver damage then you should consult your hepatologist. Acetaminophen when used in patients with liver disease can further damage the liver leading to acute liver failure.

Alcohol withdrawal symptoms usually occur within 5 - 10 hours after the last drink, but can occur days later. Symptoms get worse in 48 - 72 hours, and may persist for weeks. It all depends on how dependent your body is on alcohol. How much you drank, what you drank, and how often.

It is different for everyone, everyone's body is different and though they may last for weeks I can assure you it keeps getting easier and easier as each day passes. The hardest part for many I think is finding themselves in a situation where the temptation is strong, the withdrawal is in most cases tolerable especially  after 37 days.

I hope the best for you Elfen, Take care.

Randy

Randy, thank you so  much. It gets easier and yes I tear up just looking at wine especially at this time of year when alcohol is literally everywhere you look. But that's getting easier since I now use more nutritious ways to deal with stress in addition to meditation. I'm a lot more mindful  of how various foods and drinks  make me feel and not just eat and/or drink. The cravings go because even a small piece of rum cake now gives me the jitters, so I can't have any derivative of alcohol even if I want to. My body now rejects it completely it seems.
Oh btw I actually 'graduated' from red wine to vodka and rum and it was especially after vodka that I started having withdrawal symptoms a few days after my last drink. I feel better and stronger sober
You are very welcome Elfen, I know how the temptation can be at times and it sounds like you have found some things that are working well for you. Another thing you might always try to remember is the reason you decided to quit.

Often our loved ones and the desire to be better person for them gives us the strength we need to make that change. Our health is equally important too. I remember my vodka/rum days all too well, I wasn't a very good person back then. The last couple of years I drank it was only beer.

Since then I have had the opportunity to learn a lot about health such a symptoms of liver disease don't normally manifest until a person has decompensated cirrhosis (end stage cirrhosis) This was my diagnosis two months after I turned 38. Yet even with this diagnosis I also feel better and stronger being sober. That’s how much we can let the drink tear us down and consume our life.

You should be very proud of your success. Day 40! Congratulations! You already got this beat, keep doing what you’re doing :) Take care Elfen.

Randy

Aww thank you so much Randy...you're right...40 days and counting... I am so much more mindful of my feelings, my emotions, my body, my reactions to things, to people.

I stopped drinking honestly quite by accident. I felt agitated and drank my last drink of vodka and lemon juice and then started experiencing withdrawal symptoms. I started doing research on these symptoms which led me to this. I've learned so much about how vitamin deficiencies affect how we act or overreact to things. Might be one of the reasons there's so much violence in the world...  
Hi Elfen,

It's been a few days since I have been able to get back to you but I am real curious as to how have been doing?

As alcoholics vitamin deficiency plays a huge role in our over-all health. Everything we ingest kills liver cells this is okay because the liver has the ability to regenerate healthy new cells. It is all part of the digestive process. Problem is when we abuse alcohol it kills off massive amounts of cells, the liver is unable to replenish these cells quick enough so this causes scarring leading to liver disease. Providing our bodies with plenty of nutrients can aid our liver in replenishing these cells. Otherwise the body will begin to break down its own tissue in order to meet its survival needs.

A healthy diet is critical to us all but even more so in the life of an alcoholic.

Randy
Well I've been surviving. The cravings are slowly diminishing. I sincerely hope I haven't done any irreparable damage to my liver. I'm just being a whole lot more mindful about foods and drinks that I consume and also just keeping stress levels to a minimum which I found is what led me to drinking in the first place. I would get stressed from work and self-medicate to try to drown it out so to speak.  
Do u have sober friends to be with?