Alcoholism Community
Alcohol

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Alcohol

Hey Everyone,

I wouldn't classify myself as an alcoholic yet. Although i would not give up an oppurtunity to go clubbing and get drunk. And i usually drink alot on a typical night out. like a few coronas, jim bean cola and it would progress to like 10 tequila shots. and the next morning would see me having heavy headaches and i would like sleep the whole day..and my throat would be sore from the tequila burns..how do i stop this destructive behaviour?
how do u stop this oh yes destructive behavior?YOU DON"T GO OUT CLUBBING and consume all of what u described!simple eh?
its kinda hard u to control still. my cousins and brothers would somehow influence me to go clubbing. i think the only solution i have is to admit to them that i'm alcoholic although i'm not so that they would leave me alone.
Why dont you feel you have a drinking problem?
So you think that you should tell your family you are an alcoholic so that you wont have to go drinking with them, you don't think you are an alcoholic but you are going to tell then a lie.....and you are doing this because?????
time to take a long hard look at your life....if you are concerned about your drinking then it is time to stop.....

Ray
u r so young my dear.....and it doesn't sound like u believe u have totally lost control of ur drinking...sounds like u will still try...don't say ur an alcoholic if u don't believe it.....those of us here who have ACCEPTED that we are have gone thru repeated trials of trying to control our use...and repeatedly failed which is why we accepted our disease and made the committment to ourselves to abstain from all drugs liquid and otherwise.It is good that u realize there is some type of problem and that u r questioning ur behavior.U don't have to go where many of us have gone..but the nature of this beast is to try try...deny deny......and hopefully nothing bad will happen to u in ur research!I started drinking at 14....drugs at 17...KNEW in the pit of my gut at age 19 i had quite the problem but rationalized continueing....i'm so young......won't have friends blah blah......i finally AWOKE at age 28 after many episodes of drunk driving,blackouts and alcohol/drug mixes that could've killed me or another as the result of my drunk driving.i recently celebrated 26 years sober and clean......and NONE of my drinking/drugging pals gave a poop about me when i stopped and ended up in a hospital based program...nor do they keep in contact with me and that is good for we have nothing in common anymore since i quit it all.And u as a female and getting intoxicated in clubs need to watch out for urself...someone slipping something in2 ur drink and next u know u r in a situation that u cannot defend urself against.U r never too young to be an alcoholic..but accepting this is total surrender that u have lost control over the drinking...and u r not there yet.Glad u posted anyway!:)try to take good care of urself!
hey ibizan,

thanks for your reply and sharing of your story. i only get drunk to forget my problems and the thing is i only go clubbing with my brothers or cousins. I don't even go with friends because i could never really trust my friends like what you said..when ur in trouble (drunk driving lying in the hospital) its not them who will be concerned about you. and the thing is i always tell my parents that i go clubbing and they only allow me to do so if its with my brothers. my brothers have always taken good care of me and sometimes scold me for going overboard with the booze. But i'm just afraid that one day when i'm older and i don't need like parental consent anymore to go clubbing..i may just go off the hook (get my drink spiked ...end up in **** i don't want to like what you mentioned) so i just basically want to stop before it gets out of hand. I kinda got a solution now. I found a weekend job that pays reasonable and my mum and dad are glad that i found this job so yup i'm gonna use this job as an excuse not to party on weekends. You know peer pressure i sometimes can't say no to my brothers especially since one of them is getting married next year so like its his last chance of partying till he gets "imprisoned" hahahas. thank you thank you again for your enlightening words. stay sober always. :))
I understand ur thinking especially at ur age!it is good that the light has gone on upstairs...and u r questioning this for as u travel down that road of controlled drinking u will find out if u will succeed....or if u will fail.If u fail then u have some decisions to make.....and hopefully make a comittment to more responsibility to self in this area.Oh yes i think i will remain sober and clean......a drink would probly knock this older broad out for a loop!LOL!oh P.S. getting drunk to 4 get problems doesn't work....i'm sure u've noticed they r there in the morning accompanied no doubt by a big headache!
agreed. drinking just makes us forget our problems momentarily and the next morning when the hangover sets in the problems would still suffice..if drinking meant i could solve my problems i would gladly be alcoholic but that's not the case. :) i'm 20 and i'm learning to love my life. :)
hopefully u will learn to appreciate /love life more without soaking urself in the alcohol when we r young we take life for granted think we're immortal and made of crypton...do u drive drunk?
god bless me i don't have license. :))
You stop the destructive behavior by taking action.  This does not cure itself on its own.  You have to make plans to do something different and to do other types of activities- other than getting drunk.

I'm realistic enough to know that many younger people go out and get drunk and that it doesn't necessarily make them alcoholics.  But if this is a regular thing and if you've never been able to drink small quantities and then stop.....well, then this is a wake-up call.  Why don't you take a break and figure out what else you like to do in the evenings?  There is more to life than clubbing - I'm not saying  that you have to stay home and stare at the wall, but think about other activities and find out if you can go clubbing without the alcohol.  

If every trip to the club turns into a major drinking binge, then you better cut way back or stop all together.  
Adell-God bless other ppl who might be in ur path if u were drving drunk after clubbing......Go Jacker!
thank you jacker. :))
when i was 28 and got sober i went to young ppl's AA.there were ppl in there in their 20's who were sober/clean for a few years...i had the utmost respect for them!they didn't think they were too young and gave up their drinking buds to find a saner way of life!:)