Alcoholism Community
Alcoholic problems!

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Alcoholic problems!

should i force my wife to go to a recuperation place?? she drinks a lot. And i don't know what to do??
I'm sorry about your wife.  Honestly, you cannot legally force her to go into treatment unless you can prove that she is a danger to herself and/or others.  You can, however, try talking her into it.  Blessings - Blu
hey your wife might be trying to mask depression by drinking.love and support and understanding is what she needs at the moment.if she agrees to talk to u bout whats embedded deep inside,u should listen and emphathise.that would be the first step.she could see a therapist and then both of u could work out how to deal with the alchohol issue.it wont be easy though.all the best
Relating to myself and when I finally decided to put the plug in the jug: I was returning to work from our office holiday luncheon party, many sheets to the wind. A co-worker approached and said he was in AA and to let him know when I was ready for his help. I thought "you S.O.B." and I refused to speak to him from then on. That was in the mid 70's, I was in my early 30's. What I didn't know at the time was the fact that he was simply "planting a small seed". It was the seed that saved my life. I would have never made it to my age of 66 now. In 1982 I was finally sick and tired of being sick and tired and I called him. He took me to my first AA meeting.

The key here was the fact that "I called him". That's the way it has to work. The addict must finally reach a bottom and seek a way out from under it, under their own steam, being their own idea. All we can do is plant a seed of hope. And, the most effective farmer to do the planting is the one who has the same disease of Alcoholism and is successfully in recovery. Doctors, phycologists and formal religion really won't help to get an alcoholic's attention as much as someone who has suffered with the disease just like they are suffering in the present.

If there is any way something like that can be set up? If you indeed know of anyone in recovery, especially someone she might also know - that's a good possibility. But sadly, she will also need to reach some sort of a bottom that she herself recognizes as a bottom, and want recovery as an answer.