Alcoholism Community
An alcoholic with seizures?

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

An alcoholic with seizures?

My father was and kind of still is an alcoholic. He used to drink at least 2 bottles of vodka a day but now only drinks beer. However, now he has seizures sometimes and short time memory loss right after the seizures. Are the seizures from the alcohol? My mom thinks he gets the seizures when he's gotten a hold of liquor but we can't really prove that he drank liquor because we don't know. Please help me because the doctors here in my city aren't helping at all. Thanks.
Hello. First of all, if someone becomes an alcoholic, they remain as such the rest of their lives, much like a diabetic, they can be treated, but not cured. For example, an alcoholic can remain sober for years, but if they return to drinking, they quickly become as bad off, if not worse, than they were before they stopped. The treatment for alcoholism can include initial detoxification and stabilization, which often need to be medically supervised, and to remain sober, the use of aa, or similar support group, therapy, and medication. Eventually, an alcoholic left untreated will have but 3 eventual fates, jail, institutions like mental hospitals, or death. In fact, before aa, most alcoholics ended up this way. As far a seizures, those resulting from drinking occur during withdrawal, which is one reason why medical detox is recommended. When an individual drinks in excess over time, and suddenly stops, their nervous system that has been depressed for so long will essentially rebound to the opposite extreme. This results in shaking, high levels of anxiety, raised blood pressure and pulse, and even cardiac arrest, seizures and a condition known as delirium tremens, or DT's. This condition can cause hallucinations, and psychosis. If he is having seizures while intoxicated, the cause may be something besides alcohol, such as epilepsy, or other disorder. A complete evaluation by a physician would be a good idea, but he would need to be honest with the doctor about his drinking for a successful diagnosis and treatment. Hope this helps and please ask if you have other questions or concerns. Take care, GM
Also, I meant to mention checking out alanon for yourself and anyone else being affected by your dads drinking. There are folks there that have been, or are going through the same thing that can offer you much support and advice. GM
When drinking i used to get what the doctors called pseudoseizures, they stopped soon after I got sober.
Alcohol is alcohol, whether it's beer or liquor.  If his liver is compromised, then he doesn't need as much of it to get the desired effect.  If he's never gotten sober and simply switched from vodka to beer, then his body is probably suffering the effects of long term abuse.  If he ever decides to get sober, he should get medical help.

I hope he does get help....... - I still believe that the body has many regenerative powers once we stop abusing it.