Alcoholism Community
Anabuse

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Anabuse

I am a daily drinker and have been for years. Every other day is a new nightmare for me anymore it seems. I want it to end. I have just gotten medical insurance through my employer and I have found a doctor (family medicine) to see if I can get a full checkup to find out what all damage I have caused. I havent been to a doctor in years (no insurance) and I am not sure how to approach this. I despretely want to stop drinking, and I think the only way I can is anabuse. I am currently taking klonopin and drinking on top of it as well, and I think that is why blacking out so much when I drink and I am getting so violently sick every morning. I have horrible anxiety and the klonopin makes it completely dissapear which is a godsend, I can deal with anything (except for my drinking problem of course). Without it I dont think I would have made it this far. I work at an extremely stressful job and without it I feel like ill have a damned nervous breakdown. I may get the doctor to get me back on paxil so I can try to get off of the benzo, because I know I am addicted to it now. Anyway, I just wanted to ask others about their experiences with anabuse, and how hard it might be for a general family doctor will prescribe it to me. If I know that it will make me terribly sick if I drink anything, then I will not drink.
  • hi (4 replies):
    i am new to this. i just recently stopped drinking and a...[more]
  • alcoholic (15 replies):
    my partner is doing a detox for alcohol i was told by h...[more]
  • Antabuse (1 replies):
    My husband is an alcoholic and everyday I have been givi...[more]
  • antabuse and alcohol (12 replies):
    hi.. my father is a drinker for about 20 years, he is ag...[more]
  • antabuse (7 replies):
    I was into a chat room for those of us taking antabuse a...[more]
Welcome, and congratulations on wanting to get sober.  I don't have personal experience with anabuse but my uncle took it, and it helped him tremendously.  I personally am 9 days sober, and have done it so far without anything.  I do think that a family medicine doctor will be able to provide you with a script for anabuse.  Good luck, and I hope that you do go and get a full checkup.  In the meantime, keep posting here, and I also post on a forum called sober recovery.  It really helps me when I'm feeling weak to get online and read other peoples journey to sobriety.
Thanks for the reply. One thing I am concerned about with antibuse is that I work in an environment where I have to use alcohol to clean units and sometimes have to breath in fumes like paint or other substances that contain alcohol. I just want something to make me stop drinking, not make me sick when I dont even ingest any alcohol. That scares me a bit.
Hmm, do you think that antibuse would interact with fumes or other substances?  I'd think that wouldn't be the case.  In any event, before you go to the doc, I would write all these concerns down so you don't forget anything and ask him.  Thats what he's there for right? :)
The problem with antabuse is that you have to take it regularly for it to do any good. If you drink while taking it, even a little bit, you will get very very sick. If you have the craving to drink you can just stop taking it and drink without a problem.

antabuse is good to an extent but it doesn't stop the alcohol craving or the underlying reasons you're addicted to booze in the first place.

AA would be a good place to start looking for help and guidance. Also, try opening the yellow pages and calling a 1-800 line for drinking. Even a help line for general depression would be helpful. They can refer you to other services in your area.

Julez is right. Get a full checkup from a doctor and see what they have to say. It's unlikely he/she will just write you a prescription for antabuse simply because you ask for it. They'll want to check you out physically for any damage done from alcohol abuse and they'll probably refer you to some rehab facilities and services as well.

Bottom line: Antabuse will not be a golden answer to your problems but it can help to supplement your recovery.
I good for you that you are looking for a start,  I am a recovering alcholic 112 days today. yaaay me lol I know how hard it is I have tried it twice so far this is my 2nd attempt.
The first time I landed in the hospital for pancreatitis lipaze levels 8000 something it was really bad I could of died.  I didnt care i wanted my booze anyways I knew I had a problem they offered me treatment and i thought hey why not.  Well anyways i was there for 12 treatment and when i got out the gave me anabuse well needless to say I am special and can drink with it.  
The thing with recovoring it is really a mental state that you need to be at taking anabuse for the rest of your life is  not really a salution, I am going to suggest on top of that you seek some kind of treatment program to help you mentally.  Some people can do it on there own some can not.  

anyways the 2nd time around i looked around called my dr (drunk) telling him i want help he told me what to do.  I went to er for stomach pains (always coming and going) and I told then I wanted to detox.  If you are as far gone as I was you need a physicians help before quiting as I learned that alchol withdraw can cause death if not done right.  
I also want to state this time I have a very diffrent way of thinking before it litarly pained me to try and think of me never drinking again.  Now I do not think that way take it one day at a time.  

Anyways good luck to you and please keep us informed how it is going.  Also come to my profile page send me a message if you need to chat or have any questions.