Alcoholism Community
Any dangers from alcohol withdrawals?

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Any dangers from alcohol withdrawals?

Hi, I'm 28 years old and recently decided I needed to cut back seriously on my alcohol intake.  I was never an everyday drinker (although I'm sure I've gone seven days in a row), but I did consume, overall, much more than the recommended amount.  I quit drinking entirely four days ago.  My plan is to go at least 30 days, but possibly much longer, and then see if I can temper my drinking to a reasonable amount.  I actually want to drink less than the recommended amount to start to counteract the seven years of damage I've done to my body.  I don't foresee this as being a problem.  Like I said, I would drink to much, but I think that is due to my tendency to overindulge in general.  In going through various questionnaires about alcoholism, the only ones I ever answer yes to are that I drink more than the recommended amount and that I spend too much on alcohol.  I've never felt like it was an addiction and haven't had any cravings to speak of for re last four days.  At any rate, I'm serious about changing my drinking habits and if I find that I can't temper my drinking in the future, I will definitely quit altogether.  I would welcome any comments on my situation, but I have a more specific question.  I was reading up on side effects of quitting alcohol and read some really scary stuff!  The only side effects I have that I think could be from this are constipation and insomnia, although I've had insomnia as long as I can remember, which is one of the reasons I would overindulge.  I feel great.  In my regular life I go periods up to a week with no alcohol just to detox and have been fine.  This time I'm not as interested in detox, but I just want to change my habits altogether, so I'm taking more time off.  Is there any danger of me experiencing some of these nasty side effects after four days as a light-heavy drinker?  Thanks for reading.
By the way, I'm male not female.  I'll try to sort that out.
If you quit 4 days ago then you are out of danger of any serious withdrawal problems. My advice! If you think you may even remotely have a problem with alcohol, even a small suspicion, then you do have a problem. When I was your age I did the same thing you did. I made the mistake of believing I was ok with my drinking and that I could quit anytime I wanted. Alcohol tricks your brain by making it think you need it, and at the same time tricking you into denying you do to yourself, and others. It doesnt matter how smart you think you are. You still get tricked! It took me 25 years before I finaly realised this and got help. Do yourself and your loved ones and friends a favor, Get Rid Of Alcohol In Your Life, while you are still young.
Thanks very much for responding!  Feeling great after five days abstaining.
Good job on stopping.  Quitting was the best thing I ever did.  I used to drink to cover up anger issues.  I too would have trouble sleeping.  Once I got the booze out of my system I was able to deal some of my underlying issues.  Take a look at that insomnia and try to see what the deal is with that.  Be careful with doctors.  They may try to put you on something to help ya sleep instead of fixing the real problem.  Trading booze for a pill isn't always the answer.  Do some research and get some help to decide what's best.  Anyway congrats on the five days.  Keep it up!!!
Thanks, I will!
You have I suspect some doubts or concerns about your drinking. If you have then as wimpyweaklingguy suggested to you in his comment "If you think you may even remotely have a problem with alcohol, even a small suspicion, then you do have a problem".....I agree with this.
I was like you at some point, I wanted to cut back, drink normally. It did not work that way for me. It took a few years but I eventually got to a stage where I needed drink at least every few hours just to survive. Without drink for a few hours and I met the daemons that come along when you don't have that drink, snakes under the bed, rats running around my feet, all because of drink....Could not live with it and struggled to live without it.....

I have not had a drink today, I don't want or need a drink today, that is the way it has been for the past few years. I don't plan ahead, I don't think about staying away from drink for weeks or months I just don't drink today today.

I tell all people with a drinking problem that you cant quit by yourself you need help a alcohol treatment center is part of the answer if you are serious about not drinking.   They will teach you how to live without alcohol if you let them and you will not forget the training that you will get in treatment and it is a good place to go Ive been 2 times myself 28 day programs and it was the best thing I ever done I learned how to deal with this disease called alcoholism.   And I met people who had the same problems I had trying to stay sober.    If you want to go to a treatment center just contact AA and tell them you have a drinking problem and they will help you.   You can also go to health department and they will help you also just tell them what you are going through they will help.   You can do this If you are sick and tired of being sick and tired.     Pray to a higher power could be AA could be God.   What ever will help you.