Alcoholism Community
Are TheseDrinking Related Symptoms? Please Help.

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

-To note i have been drinking and it seems to cause insomnia-

Hi I'm 23 years old, last night when I fell asleep i recall a sudden vivid dream and than i woke up quickly to my entire body feeling like all my nerves were tensing up in this tight/hot/tingling state, it lasted about 4 seconds than stopped. Now this is the first time this has happened, and I'm concerned. I have not been sleeping well and i may have slept 3 hours in the past 48. I think that this is related, Ive read similar posts where someone replied and said that the body releases corticosteroids and stress chemicals during times of high stress on the body.

Other symptoms Ive been experiencing, unsure if related are, occasional twitching at night. I Yawn and sneeze more than average. I some times wake up to a breathless feeling, like i couldn't take that breath. I will frequently wake up through the night, sometimes with this feeling in my head like the tense feeling you get when you yawn.

Another sensation I've been having for the past 3 months is this sudden almost jolt or hot/oozing feeling in my neck/throat area, it as all but stopped for the most recently, i though it to me pulpititions/arithmias but i went to the doctors for test and they told me my heart was beating normal.

I relay all these are due to lack of sleep but i need professional opinions, Please and Thank you.
I'm not a professional, but I can tell you that my kids and I are watching my ex-husband (their dad) die a slow, agonizing death from drinking. He quit back in August of last year, but the damage to his liver is done.
He is in the hospital again, and once again we are thinking it's over. In the past year, he has had bands placed in his esophogus to stop the arteries from bleeding. The fluid in his belly has been repeatedly removed with needles. He is terribly anemic, weak and shakes constantly. He is anorexic and starving. The reason he was rushed to the ER this time? He is so confused that he cannot spell his own name. He cannot even figure out how to use his nurse's call button.
I guarantee if you had watched him go downhill over the past year, you would never touch a drink again. I suspect your body is trying to tell you something. You are lucky enough to get those warning signs before you've been drinking for 30 years (like my ex). I strongly suggest you heed those warnings before you do permanant damage to your liver!
Good luck to you. Lean on your family for support if needed. My kids are losing their dad soon. You are so young. Don't throw your life away.
I'm very sorry for your loss, and i pray for you and your family. i appreciate your advise and after all this i will be quitting. the symptoms are obvious to me now that like you said my body is trying to tell me something. My father is an alcoholic and has been for 20+ years and his father before him died from drinking. i'm afraid it will happen to him, see he already has been wetting the bed for the past 3 years or more and I'm sure it is due to his body failing. He passes out every night and wouldn't wake up if a meteor hit.
It sounds like you have a cycle to break. If you need help, reach out for it. Stay strong and you can do it. You have a good life to live. It may not be easy, but keep my ex's ordeal in your mind. Liver failure is a horrible way to die. Good luck!
You have to stop drinking, before it's too late. Conditions and symptoms, that you're going through, can turned out real ugly if you don not stop now. You're not consuming alcohol, alcohol is consuming you.
Hi Brian.........you sound like I felt at 23. I continued to 39 and went to hell and back. I am now sober nearly 27years and am so grateful to AA for showing me how to live well and be well without alcohol or other props. It has not been easy at times but I can honestly say to you that it will only get worse so heed the warning you have been given and live life, that's why we are here after all.
I truly wish you well...please feel free to contact me any time

Swart
Dear Tinker.......you seem to be a wonderful human being and the advise you gave this young man is extremely moving...I do hope he takes heed. I feel so for you and your kids...I nearly got to where your husband is now but I was saved by AA...I was so lucky. There I met people like you who told it like it really is and I have seen too many people die because they can't face the truth full on.
May the God of your understanding keep you and your children forever in the palms of His hands.
Thank you for your kind words.
The doctor set up a Hospice consult yesterday. He won't be recovering from this. It's too late for a transplant, he's simply too sick.
The kids are devastated. They are young adults now. The only comfort i can find today? I am confident that neither of our kids will be alcoholics. They have learned a very hard lesson.
Hi. I am a 19 mths sober alcoholic. It sounds like you are having panic attacks in your sleep. I also have them and sometimes can't sleep. Breathing problem, heart beating funny, etc. You must have stress during the day and it's coming out at night in your sleep. Drinking makes anxiety and depression worse. At the time maybe we think it helps, but really it makes it worse. You should try not to drink and deal with whats bothering you. Work on sleeping without alcohol in your system and see if you are thinking clearer and resting better. You could talk to your doctor about these problems and you know he won't agree to you drinking. Make sure to drink something healthy and eat good. Read and relax at night and try to clear your mind. Give it a try and see if you feel better. Then when you have a clear mind, you should be able to work on your stress.