Alcoholism Community
Beer Withdrawals 12 a day

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Beer Withdrawals 12 a day

Hi! I know I need to quit. I've been drinking about 12 beers a day 4 or 5 days a week for about a year and a half. If I quit cold turkey what symptoms will I experiance. Do I need to see a Dr.?
I think your symptoms will vary a lot depeding on the level of addiction and how accustomed your body is to the alcohol.  For several days, you will feel very agitated and you probably won't sleep so well.  If you're basically healthy otherwise, you will start to feel better physically after a few days (no more fog in your brain from the daily drinking), but this is a dangerous time; you'll come up with every rationalization possible to have "just a couple of beers for my nerves".  That''s when you really have to be disiplined.  There's no excuse for a couple of beers during the detox period.  If you have any other health issues, they may start to show up as your body detoxes- aches, pains, etc.  
I don't know how old you are or what your physical condition is, so this advice may or may not be appropriate, BUT, you should get exercise during this period.  It will take the edge off and help you detox and sleep.  You should also keep busy during the time of day that you usually drink.  Plan ahead for this time of day.  I found that sparkling water is a good way to drink something "fizzy" without the sugar or caffine or other junk that you find in pop.  Eat healthy during this period, take a multi vitamin, and don't allow yourself to get thirsty during the time of day that you usually drink (back to sparkling water or whatever).  Telling your doctor what you plan to do is never a bad idea - if you get temours or feel really ill, you shoud see a doctor anyway.  
Lastly, hang out with some people who don't drink, and make sure that someone else knows you are trying to quit and can hold you accountable.  That's what AA can do, but a good friend, can also work with you here.  
I had a racing heartbeat and dizzy spells, but it gradually got better after a few weeks.  I also had to sleep a lot, but I drank for much longer than you did.  God Bless and stay with it.  

I am 39 and in good health. I am on an anti depressent 100 mg of zoloft per day. I guess a began to need it about 8 months into the drinking. I have been dating a guy who drinks the same or more since he was twenty. I got into a bad routine with him. However I ended that relationship when I realized that I might have a problem. however we have been apart for over a month and I still continue to drink. alot of times to help me sleep. Maybe I need a sleep aide???? I have been a drinker since my teen years, but never had a problem with it. I appreciate your advice, Thanks so much!
one quick note - don't try to do anything with sleep aids until you eliminate the alcohol. It's hard to figure out what type of perscriptions you may or may not need if you're on alcohol too - it adds too many variables.  You may even want to re-examine your need for the zoloft after you stop the drinking.  Does the doctor who perscribed it know that you've been drinking this much?  He should probably know your history before you make any changes.  
I'm with Jacker on his advice to u!hey jacker...whose ur 4 legged buddy with the stick?
He's my rescue border collie buddy, and because he's so damn happy all the time, you just can't help but to smile.  he's basically a herding dog on steroids!  
Now theres a lotta energy!how old is he?years ago i had this siamese..called her my sobriety kitty...i was 7 mos.sober and she was 7 mos.old and unwanted.i took her in and she rescued me.One nite i looked at her and sed should i go to the bar and drink tonic water?or go to AA?she gave me a look with her crossed eyes as if to say..u fool...go to the AA meeting.....i knew she wouldn't want to sleep with a smelly drunk!animals know when their guardians are drunk....they smell bad...and animals noses are 400 times stronger than ours!:))))oh yes GOD is dog spelled backwards!
He's about 3 years old - I've met some older ones and they seem to be just as crazy.  I take him for 4 mile runs and he considers it a warm-up for the rest of his day.  He can actually jump in the air (all 4 feet off the ground) and hit me in the face with his nose........... I'm not talking about springing off with his rear legs like your average dog - he literally goes straight up, all 4 legs eqaully off the ground.  
Yeah, dogs will look at you cross-eye if you're acting like a stupid drunk - they want to know what's wrong with you.  
i love to watch the borders and the jacks in the dog agility trials on ESPN and Animal Planet....amazing creatures.....and great sober activity for u and ur dog!