Alcoholism Community
Brain

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Brain

HI, just a thought for those still drinking.  I found out that I have small vessels in my brain that are closed off because of heavy drinking for 25 years.  This is probably why I'm dizzy all the time.  If I had known this, I would have stopped long time ago.  Now I have to live with this!  Good luck in your sobriety.
oh that is not good!what is the treatment for this?medication?foods?vitamin supplements?
The important thing now is you arent drinking so no further damage will happen.  Stay in your recovery........sara
Hi, in the depression group, it is said that it's plaque build up, but my ENT doc said it was from drinking.  Maybe he didn't want me to start drinking again.  Its been about 2 years since my last slip.  I had 5 years, darn it.
I have some issues with nerve damage due to alcoholism, the problem now is that I have also been diagnosed with a congenital brain & spinal cord malformation. I have also got bladder problems. The Neurosurgeon is trying to figure out what is due to drink and what is due to the other issues. At the time of my last detox eight years ago I had liver damage, I could walk but with difficulty and my memory was so bad I could not remember my brothers name, this improved over a few months. Still not 100% but better than it was.... The doctors at the time said I was lucky not to have suffered serous brain damage, I was told that even mild-to-moderate drinking can adversely affect cognitive functioning leading to brain damage.....Wet brain....

you should look at this, it is about wet brain.  http://www.choosehelp.com/alcoholism/wet-brain-2013-alcoholism-and-wernicke-korsakoff-syndrome

Ray
Thanks for sharing - I had the same problem (dizziness), but it went away after about 6 months sober.  It's possible that your brain might rewire itself with enough time...the body can do some amazing things once we start treating it well.  

Still a good reminder that we can't afford to wait until "tomorrow" to stop.