Alcoholism Community
Can a stop in weekend binge drinking cause withdrawals?

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

I'm 38 and have been drinking on weekends since I was 21.  I used to drink every Fri and Sat night til 2001.  After that I drank only on weekends.  I would typically have 7-9 drinks (shots and beers) in a 2-3 hour period.  I stopped drinking a month ago.  Is withdrawal possible?  Seems unlikely given I didn't drink daily.  I want to mention that I am not craving alcohol at all.  But my resting HR is up 12-15 bpm and I noticed some other weird symptoms (sudden dizziness/lightheadedness that lasts for 30-60 minutes).  But I have phobias so maybe that's why.  I also may have overtrained in exercise.  But I thought I'd investigate the alcohol withdrawal route as a possibility???  

Hello James

I would not have thought you are experiencing alcohol withdrawals now if you have not touched alcohol for a month. It is possible to suffer from alcohol withdrawal after binge drinking also get yourself a massive hangover! Maybe you are anxious and experiencing anxiety attacks they have all sorts of weird symptoms including fast pulse, lightheadedness and feeling dizzy. Maybe you should pay a visit to your doctors if you are worried :-)