Alcoholism Community
Can drinking excessively cause foot problems.

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

I have been an alcoholic for twenty years now and I've been mainly a beer drinker all of those years. The last four years I have had joint pain in my feet that comes and goes.  I've quit drinking 3 times in the past 4 years and each time I get a flare up in my feet, the last one more painful than the first.  Has anyone heard of there being a connection between drinking and foot problems.  My doctor seems to think so but I think hes an being lazy.  Thanks in advance.
tudies have been somewhat contradictory about the effect of alcohol on rheumatoid arthritis. In 2008, a study from Sweden and Denmark showed that moderate alcohol consumption, 1-4 drinks per week, may reduce the risk of developing the autoimmune disease by roughly 20 percent (*************). That study included more than 2700 men and women. A 2010 study published in the journal Rheumatology looked at alcohol consumption and symptom severity in more than 850 patients with rheumatoid arthritis, comparing them to more than 1000 people without the disease. Those who consumed alcohol more frequently had lower levels of inflammation (as shown by blood tests), less swelling, and less joint pain and disability than those who drank less frequently. This is the first dose-dependent relationship shown for these variables in humans. The researchers also found that non-drinkers were four times more likely to develop the disease than drinkers
Thank you very interesting.
You are welcome
alcoholics do not drink in moderation 1-4 drinks a week!interesting research tho!
i just read your profile.....WOW! u r 17 w/experience in over 65 different health topics......can u specify what these experiences are?
Are you really 17 or 27,as 83 after your nickname might suggest?just curious
hi dear!oooh i am laughing...thank u so much..i really need that after this week!
I'm glad I brightened your day LOL
Gout is a common problem with people who drink and usually affects the big toe.....that is the only problem i can think of.  Have you thought about not drinking anymore?
I swelled up like a balloon when i was drinking.....
and knowing u hon.....u drank like me.......both u and i couldn't even feel our feet..let alone see them!:)or see much of anything for that matter!:)))))))
My feet are still swollen,does it eventually go?
Are they swollen all the time?  Mine get that way especially in the summer when i have been on them all day.

ibizan......i marinated in it!!
when i'm on my feet all day and up/down steps as i am at work they are more swelled in summer heat....a tad now...i wear supportive shoes and boots...LOVE crocs and Borns......ah gals its just old lady stuff!:)our stuff heads south and spreads!:))))))
Sorry to be so late with my reply.
My account is fixed now, i am 27.
Truth is that i have access to a large community of professionals, here in the EU
These people are willing and have provided answer to many of these questions to me.
I know them personally, but the community website is in Bulgarian Language and for policy reasons i cannot share it with you here.

If you have any doubts , please look at my posts.
I recon a 100% spot on.
As per the article above, this is only a research what was conducted.
Even less - this is a case study!

all in all i am just trying to help out.
if more info is needed, please drop me a message.

BR: Sash  
Hey Sash it is great you are here to help,I was just curious about your age,I have read a few of your reply posts to questions and you seem very informative,The more people here trying to help the better.
As Ibizan said though 1 to 4 drinks a week is not someone who has an addiction to alcohol,I was drinking about 12 standard drinks 7 nights a week,so I think the problems for alcoholics are totally different than with a recreational drinker.

Denise  
thank u for clarifying your age....i am always conducting troll patrol and many have come on here providing false information and creating mayhem..there is a core group in this forum of recovering alcoholics/addicts who are serious about our/their recovery and we try 2 be of help 2 those who seriously want help......one drink for us is 2 many!
Yeah I am totally a Phony and fooled you all really good! especially with the cirrhosis thing. I'm all about creating the mayhem and making peoples feet hurt!
Randy <-- if that is my real name! muha ha ha
How lovely~~
I have been tested for gout and I don't have it.  I dont drink anymore but I find it really weird that the few times I would stop my drinking, a day or two later my feet would swell up with some very painful complications in the joints of my feet.  This has happenned again as I'm detoxing from another drug but I gave up the alcohol with it as well.  I just find it very unusual...hope it doesn't last.  Thanks all.
Are you kidding or what?
I used to have tingly feet and get muscle cramps when I was drinking.  My best guess is that your body doesn't get the nutrients it needs, and does not carry oxygen to the required places as efficiently.  If you notice these problems when you are in the midst of detoxing, keep in mind your body is going through a lot of changes as it acclimates to the lack of alcohol.  It should pass.

Regarding the study cited about moderate drinking and the effect on arthritis, it's possibly due to the fact that alcohol thins the blood.  So when you stop drinking, you've made a change that effects your physiology.  But aspirin thins the blood too, and is helpful for mild cases.  

Stretch, flex the muscles and joints, and massage them.  Blood flow to these areas can help a lot.
i have plantar fascitis in left foot..it is an ageing (aging) thing so i just live w/it!
either u r trying to be a funny man or had a bout of cerebral flatulence w/that comment!
I have the pins and needles effect in both of my feet. It becomes painful after a while. In my case this is due to poor circulation. When it gets bad my wife or I will rub my calf and feet and this offers a lot of relief. I have also read that diabetics can have this problem. I never developed this until after I stopped drining. As Jacker explained alcoho thins the blood allowing better circulation. If you do decide to begin an asprin regimen then you should consult your doctor first. I know the pins and needles is not what you desribed but perhaps the same remedy will help. Good luck and hang in there.Congradulations on being drug and alcohol free! 11 months for me and going strong!
Randy

If this doesnt get better make sure to see your doctor and tell him about your history with alcohol and meds.  Hope you get to feeling better~~~sara

narla-ibizan, rpooo was just kidding in his post!!!  I talked to him last night!!

rpooo.....Congrats on 11 months!!!!  That is a great achievement~~~
oh ok....just a case of sober alcoholic dry humor!:)
HI,
Rpoo might have a point there.
You might have a circulation problem as alcohol has an effect on your blood circulation system.
Combined with the other drugs..... who knows, further study is needed
I can see the funny side now I know rpooo was kidding, LOL

Hey rpooo I,m a bit slow LOL let me know when you're kidding,

maybe I take my sobriety too seriously,
And i'm too used to troll patrol and having them under the bridge like billy goat gruff!
Thanks for the advice, it's definately something I will look into with my doctor.
Forgot to mention congratulations on 11 months, a great accomplishment indeed.  Thanks again all, I at least have something to go on now.  Good luck and god bless you all!....K.J.