Alcoholism Community
Correlation between alcoholism & blood sugar levels

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Does anyone have any information on the possible correlation between alcoholism and hypoglycemia/diabetes?  I've been doing research online, and came across an article that stated there is something about low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) that triggers something in your brain that causes you to crave alcohol.  I've always worried about developing diabetes from excessive drinking.  Then I remembered that my sister is hypoglycemic.  She's not an alcoholic like I am, but I do know that diabetes/hypoglycemia and alcoholism are all hereditary.  I'm wondering if maybe part of my alcohol addiction is the way my fluctuations in blood sugar levels are manifesting itself.

Another thing that caught my attention (and how I ultimately got started down my path of research) was a possible correlation between frequent yeast infections and blood sugar levels.  The pieces all seem to fit together when I look at them collectively.

I do plan on visiting my doctor to get my blood sugar checked.  I was just curious if anyone had any information on this.  Sometimes I think that my addiction to alcohol just makes me a walking medical disaster.
hi again. ya, there is a potential connection. alcohol (as well as other foods and beverages) is a factor in the cause and severity of type 2 diabetes. Of course anything that damages the pancreas can have this effect. I was borderline at the worst of my drinking but since have been fortunate as this improved when i stopped. another thing to note is that the use of sweets such as candy can be helpful in dealing with cravings in early sobriety, and many recovering alcoholics find that they acquire the desire for such even when they had little desire for them when actively drinking. it would be advisable to get a liver panel done (bloodwork) also to check for elevated enzyme levels that can indicate problems. hope this helps,  gm
Hi Emmy76-

My dad is a HEAVY drinker, and though everyone in my family keep trying to get him to cut back, he just won't put it down. He was just recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and though the foods he eats havent helped with it at all, it is mostly due to the alcohol intake.

Also - Those who suffer from Diabetes are more prone to yeast infections. I had an explaination in my head and then when I went to type it, I lost my train of thought.

Here is a link you can check out though...
http://diabetes.about.com/od/preventingcomplications/a/yeast.htm

best of luck to you and finding the answers you're looking for!!
Thank you for your replies.  I was always fearful of the underlying conditions alcohol use could cause, and I've always been acutely aware of my physiology, so this actually helps nudge me in the direction I thought I should go.  It helps me feel less like a hypochondriac and more like I might be on the right path to healing.