Alcoholism Community
Day 10

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Day 10

So, last night was one of the nights where I thought I was going to fail.  We got together with some old friends and their kids.  Us adults usually have a good time with many drinks included.  I went telling my husband that I may not make it through without drinking....  Well, we got there, I poured myself some perrier water with lemon and that was it.  I continued to watch as my hubby and friends got intoxicated, no one out of control, but they were in their happy place.  I was the DD for the night which never happens....  I have to say, once again it wasn't that bad.  Was able to drive home, knew the kids were in good hands and felt great this morning.  Woke up and went for a run.  
I can't tell you how clear headed I feel!!  I talk with people, make decisions and keep things organized in my head.  Well, as much as I can having three kids.  I'm amazed at how much alcohol has controlled my actions and thoughts over the years.  I'm not saying it's easy and I do have a long road ahead of me, but I can see myself never drinking again.  Instead of getting numb and ignoring my kids while I watch tv or do fb, I'm playing with them, interacting with them and talking to them. I feel like I have blinders on for 20+ years.  I feel self confident and healthy, both mentally and physically.  I could really get used to this!  :)
I was told in AA and also in treatment to never say i'd never drink again for never is a long time....to say for this day it is my best intention to NOT drink today!
You go girl!!!!!!!!!
I like that: "Woke up and went for a run". I sobered up in AA in 1982 when I was 36 and I was running 10K's at the time. You just can't beat something like running to add to the great feeling of being sober and free! Ibizan is right about staying sober just for today. Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery, all we have is today. Any alcoholic who stayed sober today is a miracle!
Just checking in to see how you are doing runner~