Alcoholism Community
Dizziness/lightheaded after binge drinking?

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

I am 20 years old. I drink with my friends socially about once every two weeks. Last week I got really drunk (which I regret). I had around 8-9 drinks. I ended up puking. The next day I felt hungover as usual, but now 5-6 days later I have a feeling of dizziness and lightheadedness which will not go away. I tried drinking water but it has not helped. I saw my GP and he didnt think much of it, just said give it time.

Please help.
Alcohol messes with your central nervous system. I actually had a similar problem, but I was drinking daily for years and my body finally crashed.  In my case, I gradually got better, but it took time.  If your doctor has no answers, then I would tell you to lay off the alcohol until this goes away.

Look at your nutrition too..... eat fruit, take a multi-vitamin, and drink Gatorade or something similar.  
Well i might suggest you stop the binge drinking as this will send you down a long deadly road.  There were 6 young adults that lost their life to binge drinking in a 5 month period only 60 miles from where i live.  Hard cold facts as to what can happen......

As for the dizziness, i was plagued by vertigo when i drank......havent had it since i quit drinking almost 8 yrs ago.........sara
Hi. Lay off the booze and you should start feeling better. You're not too young to be developing a problem, I began hitting rehabs when I was 21. It sounds like your CNS is rebounding, and I can promise you if that is the case it will get worse if you continue to drink in excess. Give yourself a break-trust me, you don't want to go down the road that myself and countless others had to in order to try to change. Take care, GM
Your feeling of dizziness and lightheadedness may well be associated with your binge drinking. I would binge drink on occasion while in college and had similar problems when I did it.

Binge drinking is an indicator of a potentially larger problem which is alcoholism. The first person who can help you is yourself. A person with an addiction problem must be willing to admit to the problem and genuinely want help.You ask for help and I will be glad to help you in any way that I can.

u've been given very good advice here..u'd be wise to heed it..i can't add anything else new!
I have stopped drinking since. I am not an alcoholic. Is there anything I can do to get rid of this dizziness?
i would talk to your family MD about getting a CAT scan and a MRI.
By filling your stomach with alcohol, this caused your body to react by trying to process it out. Your brain is telling you enough and has sent signals to throw everything up until it senses the alcohol is completely out of your system. I cannot explain the dizziness for 5 - 6 days after, but you may have an intolerance to alcohol. You mention you drink socially. If you decide you do not want to give this up I suggest mixing a light cocktail. 1 part alcohol and 3 parts on a non-alcoholic mix and sip on that one all night. Keep bottles of water around you to drink over the time you are around the alcohol. This way you can have your one drink for the social aspect, but keeping your wits and waking up without a hang over.
I'm dizzy but I just had 5 beers. I went to sleep and woke up light headed. However, I don't have the feeling 5 days later. If I do, it's not the beer causing it.

I do have an inner ear infection, which causes me to feel dizzy at times.

Also panic can cause me to feel dizzy and the drinking beer does not help my panic attacks, like it used to. When I am drunk I feel fine, until the booze wears off.

Also, drinking gives me diarrea (diarrhea). Which I have right now.

I would say see a doctor. You might have an ear infection, or you might be having panic attacks. You could also have vertigo, which makes it seem like you are dizzy, or light headed. I have that to.
Well, it could be something else. I don't know for sure but your doctor would be able to help you.
Hey man I know what you're feeling because I have had the same symptoms as well.  A big part of the light-headedness relates to your daily intake of nutrition.  After a night of binge drinking, your body is struggling to draw in any available nutrient resource from your stomach to help you recover quickly.  Somebody earlier mentioned the importance of eating more fruits and vegetables, which are not only loaded with vitamins and minerals, but are also soft enough to make your vomit less painful coming back up, if the situation occurs.  You mentioned that you go for about a week or two following a binge, and that alone can have an effect on your body.  To switch from going days without alcohol leading up to a massive intake within a few hours can really play a harmful trick on your insides, which is working super hard to process all that raw liquor.  The weak, light-headed feeling means you are suffering from what I call "running on battery acid", in which your body has no nutrients to burn up, and basically your brain tells your body to give you the finger if you attempt any physical labor, so take into consideration the types of foods you consume on a daily routine.  A tip for softening up hangovers: before passing out for the night, try to drink a 12-16oz glass of water....you'll feel loads better when you wake up, and have energy to get up and start your day.  Take it easy!
I know exactly what you mean. I have the same thing and I've been sober for about 6 months now. Can't really explain it.

blood tests were good, MRI was negative. Shrug.

Entirely possible its not related to drinking but I wouldn't rule it out. Drinking can also make other problems worse or cause other things to flare up. You really should take it easy for a while and see if that doesnt help.
Hey man, I've been feeling the exact same way, same situations and everything.  I  was just wondering if the dizziness was still bothering you.  I've been told that it was anxiety related so I try to shrug it off.  Its just hard for me to believe, I'm 25 and have gotten drunk several times.  This is the only time I have felt like this...........its been 6 days now.
Hi Guys, are you still dizzy?? i was binge drinking 6 weeks ago, i wake up everyday Lightheaded and exhausted, i did all tests and came back negative....any ideas??
I know this is a old thread but It happened to me as well :( its been 6 days now sense i woke up in a hospital with a .25 alcohol level and every time i get up it feels like i loose sense of direction and im not sure if its vertigo or dizzness but i feel like im about to just fall forward but then snap out it. its kinda scary sense i have never felt this way before. sense that night i have stopped smoking weed completely  ( smoked weed about 5-6 times a day for as long as i can remember)  as well as stopped drinking. I will start eating more healthy in hopes that this stops :( cant believe i let my self get like that ..
Hi all, I've been having that same dizzyness for 3 weeks now. Got really drank three weeks ago, drank 3 days straight and then when sobered up it didn't just go away... it has been continuous, always on "like drunk" but not quite feeling...the ironic part is my life is perfect now except for this. I went to doctors couple of times, other said it's my shoulders which I took care of (took ciropractic massage), didn't help, other one sent me to tests and nothing came out. I'm hopeless and anxious. Too bad no help of this topic... -24 years old dude from Finland
It could be Migraine Assiciated Vertigo.
http://vestibular.org/migraine-associated-vertigo-mav
I have your symptoms after binge drinking almost 4 months and it is not get better.
I had also light sensitivity for 1 month because I smoked daily electronic ciggarette. I quited and it is better with light but other symptomos are still present
I'm having this problem right now.  Dizzy 5 days after an embarrassing bout of binge drinking.  I as well don't drink often but it got out of hand the other night.  I had gone out with some class mates after our final exam.  Can anyone say if their problem ever went away?  Reading this is terrifying.  I'm an electrician and I go back to work tomorrow.  I'm up on ladders all day and I can't be dizzy.
Just curious, what was everyone else drinking.  I was drinking Smirnoff vodka and some kind of cheap tequila at the pub.  Also about half a glass of beer on tap.
I just wanted to come back on here to say that I found something that works to get rid of the dizziness!!  There is a yeast called candida that lives in your body and your good bacteria usually keeps this yeast under control.  If your body's balance is thrown off you can get an overgrowth of this yeast.  I know about it because my sister in law has to take corticosteroid inhalers which can cause her to have this problem frequently.  My symptoms sounded a lot like hers and I read online that excessive amounts of alcohol can be one cause of a candida outbreak in your body.  So I got some really good probiotics from the health food store and I've been taking large doses of them and I feel fine now.  It only took a couple days.  I'm SO RELIEVED!!!  I thought I was maybe facing permanent brain damage or something.  Worth a try for anyone who is having this problem.  You have to take ALOT.  And avoid sugars and refined carbs as the yeast feeds on it.
What if you're not a "drinker"? I just went out with a few friends after work and had TWO margaritas (med size); and still 3 days later I have a headache and I'm dizzy. I felt better yesterday, but this morning I'm dizzy again and that was after I drank a huge glass of water. I'm beginning to wonder if it was just the alcohol and not something else tgAt could've been in my drink.  But if it is just alcohol is it normal, if you will, to feel like this days later? The drinks were around 6 on Friday night and it's now Monday morning. I'm 46, active/in shape, drink 1 every 3-4 months (1 drink).  
I think it is some brain or inner ear problem. Because when I take coffee or alcohol I feel immediatelly dizzy ( after 15 minutes). When I go to pub where is lot of tobacco smoke I am lightheaded next days. I lasts about 2-3 days and after this it gets better. I was in EEG and doctor told me he see some irritation of the brain (same like if you have migraine) but it is all what he told me. But I don't feel pain or some other migraine symptoms.
Hey Ami,

Just curious if you're still having any issues or if the propbiotics took care of everything for good now that it's been some time passed. Am having similar issues and hoping it is candida...
I know you wrote this ages ago but you just wrote exactly how Im feeling!! I could never explain to anyone about this falling forward then snapping out of it. It happens for weeks after i go on a huge bender and its like I have to think before i move my eyes. I'm not drinking again after this goes away, its happened a few times now and takes ages to go away.
I have been reading through the old feed and your comment was the most recent so i thought i would write to you but i have been feeling the same as you. I drank a lot on Christmas eve and felt the normal hangover symptoms the next day but its day 7 since i last drank and i feel dizzy, very tired and i feel a lot of pressure on my eyes, i just feel like im not on the planet (Strange i know) but just wondering has your symptoms gone and how long have you had them for?
Well I am no expert but Alcohol causes Dehydration--add to that vomiting and your body is probably crying out for fluids (no, not more alcohol), So try drinking Gatorade, or plenty of water, eating bananas anything that will put the potassium loss to drinking back into your body. I am not sure why this would last for a week after the binge---but that is my 2 cents worth.

Hate to say this but it also may be your body crying out for an alcohol fix. What you think of as "binge" drinking may have now crossed the line to NEEDING alcohol for stability. Just a thought?
I have drank lots of water and have had banana's but it just seems to not have gone away, right now i have a headache, im tired and my eyes are stinging but i have had plenty of sleep over the last few days, so i really dont know why im feeling like this, when i was drinking i remember vodka and coke splashed up in my eye so i dont know if thats anything to do with why im feeling like this
OK! Time for the Doctor to step in . See them ASAP, and be honest about the bingeing. Can't help if they don't know the whole story.

Sincerely,
CM
try to look at Kindling effect. I think, this is the reason

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3268458/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindling_%28substance_withdrawal%29
http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/alerts/l/blnaa05.htm
Yes this happened to me on Smirnoff Vodka, I did some binge drinking for 2 days and now have Vertigo for last 3 days. I have never had this happen and rarely drink Smirnoff. I think it is somehow related. I was diagnosed with Vertigo years ago and had some problems with it unrelated to drinking but now this is a different kind, not just an intense spell related to an inner ear issue but this is all the time anytime I am laying down and roll over since drinking a few nights ago. This is very scary, because what I have read here from others it lasts a while. I am done drinking for good, this is not good and really a wake up call.
I commend You for accepting Your "wake up call"

Our Bodies DO talk to us but often we just don't 'listen'.  If only We'd listen to our bodies, We would be much healthier/happier, both personally and in Our relationships.

PS
It wasn't the "Smirnoff" Vodka - it was the alcohol