Alcoholism Community
Does baclofen work?

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Does baclofen work?

Just thought I would ask this question.  My Sister is a chronic a drinker.  She drinks 2 bottles of wine per night for several years now.  She went to her Dr's and he has mentioned Baclofen.  Has anyone tried this method?  I would be grateful for any response.

Best to you all...........
I am new here.  And yes, have the same problem.  I don't know your sister but I am looking for something different then this drug.  I don't know if it works.  But please try to find out about side effects.

In the USA, Campral is used with good results...but only if person takes it 3x a day,has a desire to stop drinking, goes to counseling and has a sober support group!U can google the side effects of Baclofen......its not used here in USA 2 my knowledge!
I've only heard of Antibuse to take, that makes you sick if you drink. Your sister sounds like she is looking to get sober, and if so, is she willing to do anything other than to take a pill to make it happen? I hope so. If you put as much effort into quitting as you do drinking, you'll see results. She can't feel good having to drink two bottles of wine per night, i know this to be true. Good luck with your sister, finding her way (here?), to sobriety.
Antabuse has very poor track record...if ppl want to drink they just don't take it!and 2 side effects men hate....onion breath and inability to sustain an erection!