Alcoholism Community
Drinking problem

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Drinking problem

Hi I don't crave a drink but when I do drink I won't stop till all the drinks gone or I have passed out if there's no drink I don't mind and go for days without one do you think I have a problem and should stop drinking altogether thanks Pete
Hi worried,

I can't if you have a problem or not.  That is up to you.  I did however drink like you do.  At the time I saw nothing wrong with it and kept on drinking that way for years.  Eventually I got to the point where I was drinking like that on a daily basis.  Once that started it was a pretty fast ride downhill from there.  I would get out of work and need a drink.  Where as before I would get out of work and want a drink.  It eventually led to waking up and needing a drink to round the clock drinking.  

The point is that the way you drink now may not be causing any real problems in your life however the progression of alcoholism is escaped by few people.  Give yourself a little test.  I did this once and was amazed at what I found.  You say you can stop for a few days without a problem.  Try and extend that period of time and see what your mind does.  I started getting squirrely and edgy until I finally took that drink.  That showed me just how much control alcohol had of my life.  I hope this helps.  Let me know how you make out.  Take care!!
I have stopped drinking for about 3 months no problem at all it's not a case of wanting a drink when there isn't any but when there is I can't stop
thats called loss of control...a major symptom of alcoholism!google it for more info!:)
Hey, I would consider that it problem when you can't control when you're going to stop drinking.  I had the same problem, and I thought that if I quit drinking for a while my tolerance would come down and I wouldn't need to drink as much.  I stopped for 2 months, and resumed drinking.  My tolerance went down, but that only made it so I didn't have to drink as much to pass/black out.  I spent many weeks in sober misery and blacked out weekends.  Was this the life I was destined for?  I had no idea what I was doing until I got sober again.  This time I used AA, and it has helped me stay sober, and be content most of the time as well.  Good luck buddy