Alcoholism Community
Drunk Dreams

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Drunk Dreams

How many of ya been having drunk dreams?Where ya think ya really drank and upon waking find u didn't of of course but felt so real?I had them a lot early in sobriety and later on when stressed out bout something.Last nite i had one where i drank all this beer and i was never a beer drinker!Got drunk in the dream,got caught and had to fess up and was ashamed to do so!Woke up and said man that was weird!Last year was watching show on guy in Harlem.Recovering addict who b-gan a treatment center for other addicts.I fell asleep.Dreamt i was in my pajamas running down the streets of adjoining town smoking crack!But they are a release from the subconcsious mind and it good to get that outta ur system!
I never had dreams about alcohol but I did abou other drugs I was on at the time of getting sober.  It's crazy.  When I got pregnant with my first son I quite smoking ciggs, drinking, smoking pot, doing pills(percs), coke,  on the weekends and I was so freakin bored at first.  After being pregnant for about two to three months the dreams happened less.  By the end of the pregnancy I didn't even think about partying.  I was so happy though.  It was a huge accomplishment for me.  Something felt good about taking care of myself.  I have it in me to party, that's for sure.
My dreams would wake me thinking,"oh my god I just did all this blow and I forgot I'm pregnant."  This happened for a while.  
I've gotten totally sober twice in the last four years.  It was when I was pregnant with my children.  After that it just kept creeping back.  Now I would like to get a grip on this misery.  It's making me depressed.  A terrible cycle.  Over and Over.  

Charlie
so good to hear from u!i have a concern for you.I live in smallish town.I've seen this happen and would hate to see it happen to you.Scenario:woman at home under influence of whatever.has children there and one gets sick and has to go to ER.She is scared but DRIVES child and maybe another in her care to ER.Maybe a policeman in ER.Smells alcohol or notices her under influence and calls Childrens Services.It is the law here in Ohio that they do that.It is a legal mishmosh but often a necessary wake-up call for mom.U sound so alone there with no back-up..am i right?I am concerned!U need to get help girl..u cannot do this alone!Can relate many times to the dreams!
I've thought of that, trust me.  It's pretty scary.  
I love those boys.  They are my babies.  
If you read my other post you will see that I am going to an aa meeting next week on Thurs.  I just have to figure out which one to pick.  The website has so many to choose from.  Any suggestions?  

Charlie
i'm glad ur thinking of that...i see it happen.Don't want it to happen 2 u!ur going to a meeting NEXT WEEK?honey can't u move this up?what about finding a good counselor ur comfortable with?u need to get the ball rolling?am i pushy?hell yes...so is this disease!please try to accelerate things!
I've been sober for 6 years and still get drunk dreams! Someone I knew used to call them freebies! All the fun without the consequence!  But they can be unnerving can't they? I also have detox dreams...yuck. Keep your faith..
hey there uber,nice to meet u!yes they r unnerving.....the other nite i could taste the beer and i hated the taste of beer.their so damn real.....but so nice to wake up and KNOW i didn't do that!I keep quite the grip on my sobriety....and hang tight to my faith in us supporting one another in this thing called LIFE!Namaste!
I've never expereinced drunk dreams; feel like I'm missing out?.
Your not missing out.  Like any dream like this it can cause you to wake with anxiety.  Anxiety suckes.  Also, the guilt will come while you are sleeping.  It's confusing.  
The good thing is that you wake up and you haven't done it.

CHarlie
u may have em the longer u stay sober,but their not pleasant!hope u don't!yeah,its nice when u wake up that u haven't done it!
I had some"drunk dreams" after I stopped drinking(13+ years ago).They were very similar to"EMIGRANT DREAMS".For years after I defected from my native country(at that time under communist rule) I had"emigrant dreams".I was in my old country and was overwhelmed by fear(well founded at that time since I was sentenced"in absentia" to many years in jail for"betraying the socialist motherland") that I couldn't get out.Dreams were very vivid and detailed.Sometimes I was in a police station begging policemen to let me go ....because I had to be at work in San Francisco in the morning.I was explaining secret police that it is all misunderstanding,that "I do not belong here anymore"(their reaction was always the same...."Yeh commrade...we are not buying that").I usually woke up anxious,sweating...but eventually relieved to find myself in America.All people who left communism had the same dream.Writer Erich Maria Remarque(who left Nazi Germany) had them and described them in details.
I believe those dreams reflect your inner fear.I learned to expect them,rationalize them,accept them....
I stopped having"emigrant dreams" in 1989...after the fall of Berlin Wall.
How long will "drunk dreams"last?I don't know but I know that like Berlin Wall they will eventually disappear
Walter
u probably have PTSD from all that!i find that when i'm frustrated with something....emotionally overwhelmed...i'll have one.they happened quite frequently in the first 2 years of my sobriety but now approaching 24 years and not often.but when they do their doozies and i laff AFTER i'm fully awake!
I wish i could have a few of those drunk dreams....id settle for them write now...maybe my tablets will stop them...id dreading getting then reduced..
hey friend...go get ur mind occupied on something else....what is ur weather like over there?nice walk?good book?hows ur AA over there?what it like?have u gone?Inquiring mind wanna know...ur in NEED of a support group girl.Remember..an alcoholic alone is in BAD company!stop worrying about getting those tablets reduced.When u worry about the past and the future u pee on today!
Charlie's girl  -  You need to get off the anxiety/ guilt trip and get the help you need.  You can't do this alone - no way.  Hope you're not doing the vodka today!

ibizan -  I don't normally dream or remember (unless sex - typical guy thing), but maybe my memory is shot?

walternowotny - I can understand "emigrant dreams" - vivid and detailed.  Interesting coincidence dreams stop / Berlin wall / 1989.

charlie u know dark is right.and dark if u don't dream that means ur subconscious is constipated...dreaming normal to release daily **** of life....or u do and upon waking don't recall!gotta be in 5th stage of REM//not the group...rapid eye movement stage of sleep phase 2 remember upon waking!i think the sex stuff is in ur wake mode....a thought every 18 seconds they say for males?
Maybe I'm already dead and too constipated to remember..;-)  I'm not normal, don't have to tell me that again!!  Nope the sex stuff is 24/7, rapid eye 5th stage or not.  Me every two seconds max.
I am going to stop.  I was good today but I still feel guilty all the time.  I feel gross and miss the way I used to be.

Can you take a sleeping pill if you can't sleep while in recovery?  

Charlie
dark-normal is cycle on our washing machines!Charlies girl-this is what i've seen the docs use for recovering alcs/addicts that is not habit forming for sleep...Deseryl..generic Trazedone...Remeron and new one Rozerem.Some Elavil...everyone is diff and doc can find what works best for u.U need to google PAWS girl.......Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome and read.
Are you going  to meeting today/tonight?  

Ibizan  - I'm on dry cycle at the moment.
that happens...normal in ur phase of sobriety..meeting 2 nite?Campral helps with this!
Yes I know, but it's not that bad really.  No headache, well rested.  Meeting wed.
Calling Charlie!; are you around??
sporadic crankiness is natural....life can challenge the **** outta us natural to get dry thoughts =dry behavior!
I had one drunk dream, i have only 4 months of sobriety, i had this dream maybe 3 months ago. in the dream, I was holding a half empty bottle of beer, then I woke up right away, bec. it did not make sense to me, why was i holding this bottle.

I have not had real problems with booze in the 4 months., but weed is a different story for me, much harder to quit. Right now 37 days.
good job on the booze-none.That weed will take ya right back to it tho...i would play ping pong with alcohol,pot,Valium and last year of use cocaine.It is a difficult one to give up there,don't have the physical misery from it like the alcohol.I found that i could smoke and smoke and smoke and bought very good **** in the day..but the THC from that stores in the fat tissues.I felt like a backed up sewer..it all had to go!Nickname in college was Mary-jo-uana!yee gads and to think at one time i was proud of that!
Sex dreams are better than alcohol dreams;-)
like the saying goes in AA...some of us r sicker n' others....needs to take a moral inventory!