Alcoholism Community
Duration of PAWS
About This Community:

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Duration of PAWS

I've read all the articles about the post acute withdrawal syndrome but I'm just interested in how long it has lasted for others
Blank
i started drinking @ 14,pot smoking @ 17 w/assorted other drugs use,regular Valium use and cocaine @ age 25 and went thru inpatient @ age 28 for 25 days in 1983!i'm 29 yrs.sober/clean now!my counselors told me-i was drinking and drugging for a good half of my life! 2 expect it to go away quickly was folly.....that it would take time!so i just dig my heels in,went to a lot of AA/NA mtgs., kept company w/sober/clean ppl, no bars., no dope parties,kept busy, tried to watch too much caffeine/chocolate which will aggravate the H out of it,drink a lot of water, exercise,read at nite for insomnia! there are no quick fixes to this...but if ur patient and give it one day @ a time and follow what i did it will go away!i also developed sober/clean activities like helping w/animal rescue which put me in contact w/some very cool ppl!
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
depends on how long years wise and how much the person drank/drugged!mine lasted for 9 months!
Blank
4447232_tn?1354719505
9 whole months?! I'm in my 2nd month ouch. How'd u get through it?
Blank
i started drinking @ 14,pot smoking @ 17 w/assorted other drugs use,regular Valium use and cocaine @ age 25 and went thru inpatient @ age 28 for 25 days in 1983!i'm 29 yrs.sober/clean now!my counselors told me-i was drinking and drugging for a good half of my life! 2 expect it to go away quickly was folly.....that it would take time!so i just dig my heels in,went to a lot of AA/NA mtgs., kept company w/sober/clean ppl, no bars., no dope parties,kept busy, tried to watch too much caffeine/chocolate which will aggravate the H out of it,drink a lot of water, exercise,read at nite for insomnia! there are no quick fixes to this...but if ur patient and give it one day @ a time and follow what i did it will go away!i also developed sober/clean activities like helping w/animal rescue which put me in contact w/some very cool ppl!
Blank
4447232_tn?1354719505
Thanks Ibizan. Congratulations on getting sober! I know it takes time. I've read that it sometimes lasts for months or years but it gets easier day by day.
Blank
thx dear.......it does take time but does get easier hour by hour day by day...u just hang in there......we're here 4 u!do u have a sober'clean network of family or friends?

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Alcoholism Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...