Alcoholism Community
Ever been creeped out by your doctor?

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Ever been creeped out by your doctor?

My medical doctor asked me if I need to see a psychiatrist!  I asked him why?  He said that it was strange that I asked for Lorazapam (an addictive drug) to help with anxiety, when I'm also trying to quit alcohol (also an addictive drug).  I asked for Lorazapam by name because it helped me get through a nasty divorce where physical assault and PTSD were involved.  I didn't get hooked on the stuff.  When I was done, I was done.  Period.  My doctor initially gave me Buspirone which sent me into a very bad state of mind!  Now he has prescribed Nortriptylin.  I'm going to Google it before I take it.  I told him "no more mood altering drugs".  We'll see!
Tags: Addiction
did u explain why you asked for that one and how it helped you before, and that during the time u were on it you never became addicted.
Many general practitioners are trying to steer away from prescribing Ativan which is habit forming and prefer to steer ppl to a psych doc.It is a drug one doesn't just stop taking,as you know you have to wean yourself off of it.