Alcoholism Community
Getting off alcohol

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Getting off alcohol

I've been drinking almost everyday for the past 20yrs. I drink only at night. I don't have cravings during the day. I drink all sorts depending on my mood. The consumption for various alcohol:

Beer - 6 bottles/night
Wine - 750ml/night
Hard liquor - 500ml/night

That's about it at home. If I go out I probably drink some more.

People come to me and say that they find it sad to see somebody drink at home alone. I know they're right as it has become a bad habit already. However with the amount of alcohol intake, I don't shake, sweat or feel anxious without alcohol. So I don't see myself as somebody who needs serious help. I've seen worse on TV. But maybe I can be wrong. Are there any levels of alcoholism? If so, what level am I?

I would like to know tips on how I can rid myself of the Psychological cravings at night. I can probably go without a drink for 3-4 days. But after that I crave for beer and the habit of drinking every night goes back again.

I believe I can become a better person without alcohol. I believe I can be more productive without hangovers. Any suggestion on how I can go about this?
Hi and welcome to the forum.  There are no levels of addiction.  Either you are or you arent.  You have classic addict behavior and i believe you do need serious help.  Your body will give out at some point as that is alot of alcohol to be consuming for that length of time.  I would talk with your doctor, get a good physical with blood work and all.  You need to get your liver checked.  When we drink like that we are covering up the pain in our life.  Drinking is only a symptom of alcoholism.  Have you thought about AA or seeing a therapist?  You dont have to live like this anymore.  
What were your horror experiences on this particular disease?
The worst part....it controls.  Do you think about it all the time? I did.  When was my next drink?  How long has it been?  Is it time to start drinking?  No one will be able to tell?  All day everyday!!!!!  You don't notice how consuming it is until it isn't there anymore.   I know must of us all alcoholics drank to mask the pain of life.  I didn't get the shakes or anything either when I went awhile without alcohol...but I thought about it all the time!!!!  Any somedays I still do.  I was sober for 2 years when I threw it all away due to stresses of life. I had the dumb thought that after 2 years I could handle it again....NOT!  I now have almost 6 months again.  Life is so much better without the alcohol.  You really can't do it alone.  I don't recommend tapering...its just like daily suffering.  Get help and get it over with in a few days! Go to AA...its is a wonderful support system with a lot of answers for you!!! Good Luck!! I will be rooting for you!
Katie