Alcoholism Community
How come.?

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

How come.?

For no known reason I woke up 3 weeks ago and decided I didn't want to drink anymore. Didn't fancy the taste.
I take on average 18 units+ each day. It's been 3 weeks now and I don't feel any different. I have looked
up withdrawal symptons but have none of them. I hv lost some weight and feel fitter but am worried there might
be something to come.
Regards
Leslie
Congratulations on quitting.  Your past the time for withdrawal symptoms.  So just enjoy your New healthier life.  If you go back to drinking, It Might not be as easy to quit next time.
Google Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome for alcoholism.There is damage that is done to the central nervous system over a period of time with heavy drinking that doesn't totally disappear in a few weeks.In time this too dissipates!It is not realistic to xpect that u will feel good in a short period of time when u've...like the rest of us here...have spent a LOT of time in the past drinking a large quantity!and if u've used any drugs w/regularity there is a time factor in that as well!
Many thanks for your comments. I suppose one has to take a balanced view. It is now 4 weeks and the thought of having a drink has not entered my mind although there are beers etc in the fridge. I don't suppose I will ever know why I stopped.
ps Have had shingles for last week, boo boo hoo
Hi. Many thanks for your encouragement. It's now 4 weeks and still have no desire for a beer etc although plenty in house. I guess I will not know the reason why I stopped but will enjoy.
ps. Hv had shingles for past week, poo
why is their plenty of beer in the house?
You can handle whatever comes. Congratulations on your sobriety. Life is Good!! I'm clean and sober since mid 1999 I finally found my home. If you like being sober, then I would rethink having booze in the house. Anyone that cares about you would agree. Good luck with that. I'm here if you need to talk. Liz .