Alcoholism Community
How long will Husband live with liver disease?

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Husband has been told to stop drinking, ends up in the hospital every 6 months.  Is sick or hurting himself all the time.  What can I expect in late stage alcoholism?
Only a qualified hepatologist with access to your husband’s medical file could take a chance to answer your question. Even at that point there are many variables involved that make that question very difficult to answer.

Staging would be the first step to answering your question by way of CT Scan or liver biopsy. A determination of compensated or decompensated liver function is next. This diagnosis is normally made by symptoms such as jaundice, hepatic encephalopathy and ascites to name a few. Blood labs need evaluating. Then perhaps a prognosis can be given.

Here is how it works. Everything ingested on a daily basis kills off liver cells but this is okay since the liver has the ability to reproduce new cells but when alcohol is abused these healthy cells are killed off at a much faster rate than they can be replenished hence causing the liver to scar. It is this scaring of the liver that we call cirrhosis. Remove the alcohol in time and it is possible for the cirrhotic individual to live for many years with cirrhosis (diet, exercise, routine HCC screening and medication to include supplements will be required), remove it not then damage will continue and outcome is fatal.

6 months of documented sobriety is mandatory to be placed on a transplant list. I sincerely hope you and your husband the best. Do what you can to let him know what is required but sobriety is a decision he will have to make. There is no other way around it. Please feel welcome to ask any more questions if you like. I was diagnosed in March 2010 end stage cirrhosis, been sober ever since and most days feeling pretty good. It's absolutely the best decision I ever made. Just scary at first but very possible! Cirrhosis doesn't have to be a death sentence. Take care.

Randy
Thank you Randy, I really appreciate it.  Chuck has not made the decision to stop drinking yet.  Drinks 750 btl every day, hides it all around the house.  Now he is falling down alot, looks/talks drunk most days.  I will not even ride with him ever.   He blames me for his drinking.  Most days I am at such a loss, nothing I say or do gets thru to  him.   Congrats to you for turning around, may you be blessed with a long life ahead.   I am just really waiting for his death sentence.  My Grandfather died of Alcoholism, so really hits home for me.   Every 6 months he is back in the hospital for blood transfusion, last time he had Enema.  The doc and staff told him not to drink anymore.  The day he got out of the hospital in March he went home and drank.  and continues to drink every day.  Thanks again.
I am sorry you find yourself in such an bad situation. Alcoholism is a terrible disease for many, the way it impacts the lives of our loved ones is very sad. Just know that regardless of what Chuck has said it is not your fault he drinks. Alcoholism can be hereditary but for many of us we learn to use it to deal with problems in our lives without realizing many additional problems will stem from abusing alcohol. It's a very vicious cycle.
I once found myself in a situation where I could not function normally without alcohol although knowing it was the alcohol that was creating this malfunction. This was a combination of dependency, withdrawals and physical damage. It's a difficult place to be in for everyone. The only way out is to quit drinking but first the alcoholic must realize this and make the decision to quit. Next is how do you quit, stopping abruptly can lead to life threatening side effects so it is always recommend to consult your physician for proper detoxification suggestions. At this point it is very critical to be honest with how much your drinking. Next is receiving support not only from groups such as AA and online support forums like this one but from your loved ones as well. All the while hoping to much physical damage has not been done.
It sounds like a lot to go through and it is but very possible, I did, so have many others and I sure hope Chuck will too. Whatever happens don't forget to take care of yourself through all of this.
Randy