How much is too much?
I drink every night but lately I have been scared that I have caused my body damage because I have stabbing pains in the lower right part of my stomach and I have problems sleeping through the night if I don't drink heavily. I don't know if I am an alcoholic. My father was and he recently died from cancer, he was also a heavy smoker. Is it ok to have a couple of glasses of wine every night as long as I don't get drunk? How much alcohol consumption makes you an alcoholic?
Hi, I am a recovering alcohloic, I have been sober for 12years.

Regarding your pain, please see a DR.  I do not know how long you have been
drinking or how much you drink.  But if you drank like I did you could have a
problem with your kidneys or liver.  I stoped drinking and the damage I did to my liver
was corrected over time and with a DR's care.  A couple glassess of wine a night does not make you an alcoholic.  If you are powerless over the booze, meaning once you pick
it up you have no control over how much you drink or your actions while drinking that's
pretty much a alcoholic.  Let me put it this way.

For me I found myself in an AA meeting and completely powerless over alcohol.

NOrmal people do not attended AA.  Only you know if your an alcoholic.

Just ask yourself a couple of questions,
are you powerless?
have you ever regreted your actions while drinking?
do you drink alone?
do you drink when your upset/happy/mad/glad?
Does alcohol come first over friends and family?
Can you go long periods without alcohol?

That should be a start.
cocobean
a)feeling slightly powerless about trying to back up the slow creeping up of consumption. Wish I could set it permanently at 4-6 drinks a week.
b) a few times over the years. Mostly when I was young and stupid.
c) I drink at home, during the day, with or without other people around. My husband starts drinking later than me, because he doesn't have reflux and because of his work hours. His first and my last often overlap. I have a beer or glass of wine when I eat out with other people, but I avoid drinking in the evening and I rarely go to bars.
d) I drink at approximately the same time range every day, regardless of my emotions. Anger and stress often result in an extra beer, which annoys me.
e) hell no.
f) yes. Last time was 3 months, last winter.