Alcoholism Community
I want to quit drinking every night

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

I want to quit drinking every night

any ideas?  I don't want to join some AA group as I embarrassed by my drinking.
Im going to take a wild guess here and say your in pain and drinking for a reason would that be correct? While others may argue the drinking problem should be solved first i know from personal experience its not the best way for some people.

Why do you drink? Your anonymous here and should never feel embarresed or degraded.
I have anxiety and drinking takes away my worries.  I don't like myself at all and have been trying to be this perfect girl my whole life.  Well, it isn't working.  When I do something stupid like drink ......i can't remember what I did...then I get down on myself more.  So yes I drink because of  reason.
hi there. if drinking is causing you problems now, there's a good chance they will get much worse. the only way myself and others like me have been able to stop, is to be willing to do whatever it takes, to change anything and possibly everything. sadly, few ever recover until they have reached that point, and for some the only path to sobriety is by way of jails, institutions or death. i just found out a little while ago that a friend of mine found his solution after many attempts. his funeral is this week. if you are ready, there is a way out, but it will not be easy and it will take sacrifice and work. the good news is life without liquor can be beyond your wildest dreams, the only key to that door you need is willingness. take care,  gm
what is the way out?  I want to quit......but I would still like to have a drink on occasion.  Is that possible?
I thought it would be possible for me to drink on occasion.  But I have failed, and this time, the mental and physical symptoms have been much worse, more so than I could have imagined.  I've said before that you don't want a "drinking problem" on your medical record but have since come to the conclusion that this is probably unrealistic.

I hate to think of anyone else getting to the point I am now, but that may be what it takes for you to decide to stop.  I was embarrassed, too, but not so much after going through my second try to wean down and drink on occasion.  Please keep posting and let us know how you're doing.  Everyone here has helped me so much, and it does help YOU when you try to help another.  Let us know how you're doing.
I too drink for a reason....I have extreme anxiety and because of severe abuse as a child am a very anxious person. As well, I have suffered through 10 surgeries and have a few uncomfortable conditions and have been a progressively heavy drinker since 2002 or so....at first it was fun and I mean...I some really good times with alcohol. Then I began to rely on alcohol more and more....knowing I am an addictive personality, (I have had issues in the past with pain killers, sleeping meds, laxatives when I was an anorexic....) I went through rehab in February of this year. I wish I can say that I am 100% off alcohol...I still have that weak moment and will drink. I tell myself I am better and pat myself on the back because I stop at 3 beers, (when I used to drink 6 to 8 beers a day)....but the truth is I am so tired of working...working to stay one step ahead of my bi-polar disorder...or whatever the hell is wrong with me....now I am having seizures, (since March) and those are getting worse despite my not drinking like I did before. I know in my deepest of heart that I am $crewed and that I CANNOT drink that proverbial "just one drink" that magical "once in a while"......that world no longer am I a part of.....I am a part of that nasty world where I puke on my shoes....make a fool of myself...fight with my husband for no reason...call in sick to work...ignore friends and isolate myself so I can destroy myself more and more...THAT is the drinking world I, (and I suspect you) belong to.....just my 2 cents......
hello. once you have crossed over into the dangerous territory of compulsive drinking, there is no longer a way to safely consume alcohol in any amount. the single most effective resource available is aa, and i highly recommend giving it a shot. as far as being embarrassed, that is often false pride. it's likely if you are drinking to blackouts that you are doing things that would be embarrassing already, and it's also probable that those around you know you have a problem, whether they express it or not. in addition, you will likely have to change the people you hang out with, the places you go, and the things you do, as these are often directly connected with the booze. you should try some controlled drinking---drink 1 or 2 and then stop, if you can. try this more than once. if you are honest with yourself, you will likely find that you can't predict with any degree of certainty, how much you will consume and what will happen as a result. it is imperative to reach this point of recognizing the lack of power when it comes to alcohol, but once you admit and accept that you have little, if any, control, you will be ready to try the solution. take care,  gm
I don't think anyone wants to be in AA but ppl accept it b/c it works.  It's really a simple program but unfortunately it is complicated by denial, fear, embarrassment, pride, ego etc.  Twelve step programs were continually getting in my way, fortunately for me the judge gave me a nudge. lol

Hopefully you will try something new as trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results is truly the definition of insanity.  good luck and God Bless