Alcoholism Community
Is my husband an achololic? Pray for him with me!

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

My husband recently quit smoking bud!!! I am very proud of him. But there is a catch he has dive this in the past, and he always turns to drinking beer. Since I first got with him it seems like he always has needed something to help him cope with life. I have tried to make him see how destructive this is, but he doesn't care.

I love my husband and believes his drinking is overboard. He says its not that it is just a few after work. A few means about 7. I don't want to be on his case for nothing but it is almost like that is all heb thinks about. Even when we don't have the money to buy it. His excuse is he deserves a few after work. I never have drank so I don't get it. What I do know is that he worries me. So, I want to know do ya believe he is an achololic?

Also, I trust that when you have two or more praying mountains can move. Well, my husband is a huge mountain that needs to be moved. So, please pray with me that his heart changes and he stops drinking soon. May God be with ya,
Kimberly
I will make sure and put him in my prayers.  It sounds like he just trades one addiction for another.  My husband likes drinking too and I've learned he is not going to change until he wants to, which is so annoying.  Stay strong and take care of yourself.  God bless.  
That is exactly what he does. I have has him sober and away from all of it for 6 months in our 8 year relationship. During that time he seemed full of joy and he had alot more energy.

The drinking seems to drains him. He sometimes doesn't remember the end of our night together. Plus it makes him so depressed. He is hard on himself and every bit of guilt comes out. He cries over how he has treated me in the past. He cries over that fact he feels like a failure. That is only some of the time. At other times he is angry at everything and takes everything the wrong way. Which means I can't even talk at times. Lately he seems less energetic in the morning, and his body aches all over.

I want my husband happy and addiction free. I worry about his health and I don't like it when it gets in the way of our relationship. I know he loves me and I love him. We have been through alot together, but I believe if he wasn't drinking or smoking through some of it he would had my back more.

God has heard my prayers once before, and I trust he hears me now. I can't wait for the day that my husband says he is done with it all. I can't wait for him to just decide that he don't need it anymore I will continue to pray that is all I can do.

Kimberly
Hi Kimberly-thanks for sharing your heart with us. I know it's so hard to know where to draw the line with alcohol, and it's obvious you're really concerned about your husband. So, I wondered if you thought he'd ever be open to any counseling or support groups? It sounds like he's feeling pretty down right now and I think some outside help could go a long way. Of course, I realize he may not be on board with this. So, maybe you might want to consider getting a little advice from someone on how to respond to him or best help him with these struggles. I know there's organization like Celebrate Recovery (celebraterecovery.com) at local churchs where you or your husband could get some free support. Just a thought. Well, I'll definitely be praying for you guys. Let us know how things go, OK?
Thank you I had posted in the relationship forum but they weren't to understanding. They seem to think its all just a cake walk to get my husband to want help. Or they act as if I am wrong for not wanting to leave him. But he is a good man that deserves someone to support him. He doesn't deserve to be heartbroken again.

I am truly going to try to find a way to get my husband to hear me when I say I am concerned about him. Thanks again.
Hi Kimberly, you know I'm praying for you and your husband. Maybe your husband would allow you to take one of his seven beers away for a few weeks? It's baby steps, but it's a start.......
Maybe he can prove to himself and you that he is okay, but he's going to have to get down to about two beers a night to do that.
Well, thanks again. I may try that but I don't think he sees it as an issue yet. My husband says its because he works hard and deserves to chill. I wouldn't mind if I knew he would go without when we can't get it. But he doesn't he finds a way to get it. I am just gonna pray he stops before he hits rock bottom.