Alcoholism Community
Is there a recommended medicine for alcoholics

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Hi, is there a medicine to take to stop the craving for alcoholic drink?
  • antabuse (7 replies):
    I was into a chat room for those of us taking antabuse a...[more]
  • Antabuse (1 replies):
    My husband is an alcoholic and everyday I have been givi...[more]
  • antabuse (3 replies):
    i recently heard about something called antabuse that wi...[more]
  • campral (2 replies):
    What is everyones thought s on the drug Campral. I have ...[more]
  • Treatment for alcoholism (4 replies):
    My husband has been drinking for 20 years and has had se...[more]
They say the herb kudzu (which is strictly not a medicine helps), I have now used it for about six months. I can't say that I have noticed any effects.

Antabuse is a medicine that helps, but it can have serious side effects.
Antabuse is cheap and has two side effects men hate...onion breath and erectile dysfunction.I have not see it have a good success rate.I've seen better results with Campral combined with a support group and a lifestyle change which is devoid of alcohol and its influences.Some here have noted success with Naltrexone which was originally used with opiate addicts.Different meds work differently on different ppl!
hello. i've been on both antabuse and campral (have been on campral now for almost 2 years) and like ibizan said, the best results come from a combination of things. i was told if i kept going near the barber shop, i would end up getting a haircut so i stay away from people, places and things that i associated with my drinking, and i try to help others find their own path to a different way of life. the antabuse will do nothing for cravings aside from providing some psychological aversion to alcohol, as it will make you violently ill if you drink on it (i've tried and trust me it sux big time). the campral is specifically addressed for use in prevention of cravings, and from my experience has generated no negative side effects. best wishes,  gm
thank you guys for all your  replys.  
Campral is good but generally speaking...you will still have cravings.  It's the nature of the game.
Take Care
campril worked wonders for me, but I also was determend to quit drinking this time.  I only took it for the first month.  Have been sober for over a year.  The cravings did subside with it.  good luck.