Mom in dt's 7 days now
Last thursday my mom broke her leg and I took her to the hospital where she was admitted for surgery due to the severety of the break. Friday we were told no surgery due to the swelling and saturday found out she was in DT's. Sunday Mom was having a really hard time and was having labored breathing. At 4 am monday she asperated and she was taken to CCU and intubated. Her amonia is really high and her potassium is really low. Tuesday mom had surgery on her leg while still on the vent as the risk of having to intubate was no longer a barrier for surgery and the pro's outweighed the cons. Yesterday we removed the ventilator and she is maintaining her own breathing again. She is still in dt's and very discombobulated. We are giving her nutrition only in iv due to the risks of asperating again. So today we are on day 7 of dt's in it feels like there is no end in sight. How much longer until her hellucinations stop? I found a half gallon under her kitchen sink with only a few shots left and I must mention she has Lupus, RA, sjogren's, fiber mialsia, osteoperosis, copd, and some others I cant think of right now. I just want my mom back and to know she knows I'm here with her.
Hello

I am so sorry to hear about how ill your mother is and how much you are worrying and suffering for her. Do they have her on medication for alcohol withdrawal and have the doctors done tests for liver function and other alcohol related conditions?

I am sorry that I cannot give you any answers, but I will pray for you and your mother.

Best wishes
Her ammonia is likely high due to reduced liver function, This is what is causing the confusion. Diarrhea is also a  very common cause for low potassium. Abuse of diuretics or alcohol could be responsible for this.
Now that it’s been a week hopefully she is through the worse of the DT's and her condition should gradually get better depending on the condition of her liver. A Cat Scan has probably already been ordered or perhaps an ultrasound. This will be done to determine if fibrosis or cirrhosis is present. Either way she must discontinue her drinking or her condition is likely to progress.
A CBC and a complete metabolic panel should have already be ran. A high Bilirubin, ALT and AST are key indicators of liver disease. Keep in mind that certain stages of liver disease are reversible with diet, exercise and alcohol abstinence. I hope this helps you out and please keep in mind this is my assumption based on the limited information you provided and could be pretty far off. Take care and please keep us posted on her condition.
Randy