Alcoholism Community
Nephews addiction

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Nephews addiction

Has anyone here who's in recovery got a family member who's active.

My brother and I have had a hell of a day with his son going AWOL since yesterday am. He is sixteen and drinking, doing coke, acid, and cannabis. He stays with me Weds and went off yesterday and didn't come back, didn't go to college, didn't answer our calls or the texts. So we informed the Police now he has told his dad he will return tomorrow.

I'm really upset I'm 12 years and his dad 13 and a half, it's our worse nightmare. Being in pain with my bad back all the time and then trying to cope with this new worry really *****.

Trace
Hi Trace, I've been going to Alanon for years. I started because of my daughter's addiction. She's 9 years clean now but I'll still go every now and then. It's hard on us folks in the program to see this. Makes us feel even more powerless over mind-altering substance when it's someone other than ourselves using. The book "Al-anon Works" has some really good information in it. Al-anon can be very hard on us clean alcoholics and addicts. We got it and we want THEM to want it too! But It tells us to allow other's to experience the consequences of their actions. Allowing them the dignity to be who they are and then put the focus on ourselves and working our program. Pretty tough stuff. It can be the toughest 12-step program there is when actually working the steps with one of our children out using. Now a 16 year old still should have a set of reigns to pull on, but not for long. You and your Bro go to meetings already, this would be a great outing for you.
-Robert