Not sure if I'm in the right place!
I decided this week it was time to stop smoking and stop drinking I'm 32 and cannot remember the last time I was sober.  I work, I own a house, I have 2 wonderful dogs that I walk daily and ensure are well looked after, but I have created a life where I can get those essentials organised in time to stop and start drinking by late afternoon every day, if possible though I will start drinking late morning.  I am now realising that after 3 days without smoking, which I told myself would be the hardest job, I have not yet even attempted to stop drinking, and panic set in the morning I decided to stop. I know that there is a problem but I just don't know where to start, any advice would be welcome.
Hello Diez and welcome to MedHelp.

You are certainly in the right place and I'm glad you found us. There are many people hear that are going through the same thing or as like in my case have already been through it.

I think it's great you have decided to change your life. It is not by any means easy but as a good friend of mine always says just take it one day at a time and she's right, take it minute by minute if you have too.

I spent more than 20 years as an alcoholic, though I worked too and cared for my family. The last couple of years before I quit I was too a point that if I was awake I was drinking. Drinking because my addiction was so strong I had to just to feel normal. It made the shakes go away and my anxiety, both were a result of abusing alcohol. It is a viscous cycle that by the time I was 38  I received a diagnosis of end stage cirrhosis. Sad to say that was the motivation I needed prior to that I had never even had the desire to quit.

After diagnosis it was imperative I stop immediately to stop any further progression of my cirrhosis. For the first time in my life I really put value on the people I cared so much about, people that loved me as much as I did them. After that my goal to quit became much easier. I wanted to be here for them! I couldn't let them down, they needed me too. The withdrawals aren't fun but they will lessen in time and once you make it through it you can finally really see how great life is and what you have been missing. You will find more confidence in everything you do and say and as your body recovers from years of abuse you will find an energy level life you haven't had since you were young.

It's been three years since I quit, me and my wife and I just built a new house and my youngest daughter graduated HS with a full scholarship to college. Had I not stopped drinking I would have missed it all! Do it for your self and for your loved ones, I promise you won't regret it! There are many good people here like yourself that have done it too so don't panic, we are all here for you. Take care and I wish you the best!

Randy
As always greyt advice!Congrats on ur daughters scholarship!she smart like her mama....and papa bear:)!!!!
I'm sorry I missed this post when you first put it up! I am just seeing it.. Since it has been a little while since you posted do u have an update for us? Did u take the plunge? Are u doing okay? LET US KNOW PLEASE! You are important and we are thinking of you.