Alcoholism Community
Physical effects of alchohol
About This Community:

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Physical effects of alchohol

My husband has been drinking 1.75 liters of Famous Grouse Scotch weekly for the past three years since retiring as an airline pilot.  I have all the receipts of purchases weekly.   He experiences terrible shaking (tremors) mostly in his hands, cannot remember conversations, and becomes agressively abusive.  Is this much alcohol alot?  
Tags: alchohol
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
999891_tn?1407279676
Hi,
It is not so much the amount we drink that is of concern but the effect it has on us and those around us.
Seeking a doctors advice would be advisable to rule out other causes for your husbands behaviour.
Ray  
Blank
1064704_tn?1260717991
What I read on your post describes alcohol withdrawal's physical effects. With alcohol use, it's more about tolerance of certain amounts. What may be a lot for one person isn't or is a lot for another. It's a lot for your husband, from the sounds of it, since he experiences tremors and black outs (not recalling conversations, how he got somewhere, etc.). Parts of a person's personality often accompanying alcohol abuse/dependence are aggression, isolating, sensitivity to real or perceived criticism, defensiveness, etc. If your husband's (ab)use of alcohol continues, I'm concerned for his well-being, as I'm sure you are. He will not be able to quit "cold turkey." In fact, that would be dangerous to his health, since alcohol withdrawal is one of the most physically difficult and potentially dangerous withdrawals for a person. If he is to come off of the alcohol, he'll need a medically supervised detoxification ("detox"). If he continues drinking, as you know, his liver--as well as other organs--will start to be affected.

Let me know if you want more support or anything. Take care.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Alcoholism Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...