Alcoholism Community
Post alcohol quitting symptoms timeframe

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

I recently quit alcohol with the help of a hypnotherapist. I have had absolutely NO mental side effects at all in the last 2 weeks, but boy the physical symptoms have been pretty ugly. I've had night sweats, DTs, urinary frequency, strange smelling pee and blurred vision on and off. Many symptoms have subsided now but I still have insomnia most nights and that post-flu like weakness in the morning although my mind is eager and looking forward to each new day! It's a bummer. Should I expect physical symptoms for a while as yet? I would like to have a ball park figure, although if it were likely to be weeks, I'd consider Valium!
Congrats on your home detox. That's a heavy thing you did at home without medical supervision. You need to talk to your doctor about quitting drinking and let them know that insomnia has persisted for more than 30 days. You could go now and talk and see what they say about what is acceptable for you, as an alcoholic , to tolerate. I wish you every success.
Congratulations also on your home detox! I did the same and it will be 6 weeks on Monday. I have experience exactly the same symptoms as you!! The severe overall itching I must admit has been the absolute worst!! I feel as though I wrote your post including the post-flu feelings and also the eagerness of each day and looking forward to new beginnings.  

I just saw my internist (have only seen her 3 times in my life/new one) and was finally given something for my itching. She WOULD NOT GIVE ME ANYTHING FOR ONE MONTH!!!??? I have never heard of a doctor not helping a patient out sufferring as I was and am to a lesser degree as I keep reading about all of the different medications being dispensed to help reduce the withdrawal symptoms. My speech is sooooooooo disjointed/rapid that it's almost impossible to slow down!!! I have learned that it is 20 years, yes, 20 years of toxicity coming out and it sure won't disappear in 6 weeks!

The medication is called hydroxyzine and I hope it works. I don't know if its the toxicity or a combination of my bizarre perimenopause/menopause but my whole face is an acne disaster!!! It looks like a volcanic field of red blotches and welts!! Just got clindagel and will see a dematologist on Wednesday.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, what a combination of experiences at age 49.

Please keep me posted.

Burma
Back when i got sober/clean in 1983,,,the docs gave us NOTHING to help w/PAWS!thank God times have changed...sounds like u got a old school doc.....and also sounds like ur having an allergic reaction to the Vistaril aka hydroxyzine!i'm going thru menopause and have nothing like u describe!