Alcoholism Community
Quitting TODAY

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Quitting TODAY

Today I am quitting drinking. I am 33 and have been drinking on and off for about 9 years. The last month or so i have been downing a bottle of wine almost every night. I am done with this. I am tired of feeling tired and dragged out all the time. I am also worried about what I am doing to my body. I have a wonderful husband and 2 year old, and we would still like another child at some point, so I have a LOT of living left to do. I would prefer to do said living with a clear mind, a clean body, and a free soul (and without a headache). Wish me luck, I know that when cocktail hour rolls around it is not going to be easy, but I know I can do it. Hello, my name is kje2010, and I am an alcoholic.
Welcome...I am on my 26th day!! it is possible...been drinking 3L o beer for years...and drinking daily for the past 20+yrs...you can do it
Hi, kje,

You are so brave. I really hope you can do it. Do you go to AA? I am only a Mum but I've seen a lot of stuff and supported people in many situations. I'm in the UK but the alcoholics I have known say they wouldn't have been able to get through it without the support of AA. Could your doc not send you to a counsellor? You need all the help you can get to keep that determined and positive  attitude going. Also, by seeing a professional in that area of specialisation you could resolve your issues which caused you to need the drink in the first place. Let me know how you're getting on, you courageous lady! Good luck and Good Health.
Just came across your post and wanted to lend my support. How are you doing after 24 hours? Hope you're keeping hydrated and doing some exercising if you feel well enough. Grungema3 had some good info for you. I've been in AA for many years and I couldn't have stayed sober without it. First it gave me some accountability to others. I couldn't stay sober on my own for too long, so "I" became "WE". I can't... we can. When I went everything seemed to fall into place. I learned I can no longer control the use of alcohol and it made my life unmanageable when I drank. So I just don't take that first drink and everything else will be okay.

I wish you the best!! Congrats on your first full day!!!
Good idea on wanting to quit. I feel so much better, no more feeling tired all day. I eat healthy food at regular times. Can go anywhere at anytime. Enjoy keeping busy and love all my accomplishments now I have all this time now. I went to a recovery program and they taught me AA 12 step program also, changed my way of thinking and was very good support, also made me accountable. I stay very busy and stay positive and around clean positive people, also go to AA meetings on a regular basis which are great support. Have a sponsor for AA and am really happy now. Didn't know I would feel this good, happy I do. Would never go back to the way it was, a prisoner to that bottle. Great to be free. You can do it too.
You have desire to stop drinking. So surely you will stop drinking. You will find out a way by yourself.
37days :)
Mustang and kje2010 congratulations on your sobriety!

After 20+ years of drinking it took me a diagnosis of cirrhosis to get me to quit, I was 38. Life is wonderful through sober eyes! I almost missed it.

You are both so strong to do this for yourselves and your loved ones, I admire you! Stay strong, your going to make it!!!

I wish you both the very best, take care :)

Randy
thank you so much...my whole life is changing for the better xox