Alcoholism Community
Severe alcoholic quitting tomorrow

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Severe alcoholic quitting tomorrow

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. I was reading through all the posts and thought you were all amazing so i thought i'd make a post. I'm 28 now and have been drinking heavy since I was 21. I'm at the point where i can put down about 16 beers a night. I tried to quit cold turkey last December and i ended up in the hospital. I went to my mom's to ride out the withdrawl (withdrawal) and it was terrible. On the 3rd night the DTs kicked in. I fell out of my bed and had no idea where i was. My heart felt like it was about to burst out of my chest. I just started crawling around and somehow made it to my mom's room. She kept asking me what's wrong. All i was able to say was call 911. After that everything blacks out but i guess i seized multiple times and the ER just ended up sedating me for two days. Anyways right when i left the hospital like an idiot i went and bought some beer because i was so depressed and embarassed. Now fast forward to now I went to my doctor today and told her I'm an alcoholic. I can't afford rehab due to no insurance. So she gave me a prescription for librium. I'm supposed to take 75mg to 150mg a day for the first 3 days then taper off. Supposedly that will minimize the withdrawal. Tomorrow is my birthday, so my birthday present to myself is quitting alcohol for good. Just looking for any advice or anything else I can do during my withdrawal to help out. Also if anyone has taken librium before for alcohol withdrawal I'd like to hear how it worked out for you. Thank you all in advance!
How is it going?  Have you thought about any type of recovery care such as AA or counseling?  Drinking is only a symptom of this addiction.