Alcoholism Community
Severe alcoholism and rectal bleeding.

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Severe alcoholism and rectal bleeding.

My father is 46 years old and has struggled with alcoholism and addiction for more than half of his life. He has been in several different rehab programs and none of them have worked for him. He is stuck on the fact that he "can not" quit drinking. I've known for a long time that this would one day cause physical problems, but I've tried not to entertain that fact. However, just today, he informed me that he has been expierencing blood in his stool for about 3 months. He didn't want to tell me because he is afraid the doctors will tell him not to drink. He is a very depressed person and has struggled with this just as much as he has with his alcoholism. He is very determined not to go to a medical professional, but I am very determined to make him. I would like some type of general idea of what a doctor will tell me before I am there to not only prepare myself but my father as well. I would really appreciate a brief explanation of common links between severe alcoholism and rectal bleeding.
consumption of alot of alcohol can lead to peptic ulcers that which in turn can lead to bleeding peptic ulcers they can be found in the stomach esophagus and small intestines  burning pain is associateed wiht peptic ulcers your dad should get checked out to see if he ahs one before it ruptures on its own then the only thing to do is emergency surgery to fix it life n death surgery if you dont have it checked out wont mean he will have to quit alcohol atleast slow it down and eat healthy kep in touch best of luck for you and your family
"he has been in several rehab programs and none of them have worked for him"....ahem! it is not that the programs haven't worked for him.......he hasn't worked the program and wanted to stop drinking!and i totally disagree w/whatalifes statement.....He'll have to slow the drinking down after a surgery and eat healthy???????HELLO! a man who has drank for half his life and has this type of medical issue is not going to slow down his drinking!it is clear that your dad is on a path of decline...the best u can do for yourself is to check out Al-Anon!You cannot force your dad to stop drinking or tend to his health this is already evident....u will not let him bleed to death...but i think u already know what a doctor will tell u......please get to Al-Anon and get some support for urself!
I would still do this... tell your Dad he will die if he doesn't see a Doctor.  Because it's true he's going to die if he keeps drinking and it's gonna be sooner rather than later.  

Like really if he keeps the drinking up the way he is... He probably won't even make it for a year.  Tell him that, and if he doesn't change then really there's nothing you can do.

Yes definitely check out Al-Anon to help get support with what your are going through.