Alcoholism Community
Sweet Body Odor From Whisky

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Sweet Body Odor From Whisky

Hello everyone. I have a question and i have not found an answer to my question specifically. Just recently (1 or 2 months ago) i've noticed a sweet odor everytime i drink whisky. I only drink on the weekends and it's the chaep kind too. I don't know if it's because of the whisky or if it's alcohol in general. I haven't tried just drinking beer to see if the same odor arises. I was just wondering if drinking whisky can cause an odor and not other types of alcohol. I was also wondering if anyone out there is having or suffering from the same issue. I've thought it could be diabetes, or liver damage, or possibly some kind of allergic reaction. Another question, if i drank beer would i still get the same sweet odor? Thanks for your time
You didn't state if the sweet smell is body odor or breath, so I will assume body. A sweet body odor *can* be indicative of diabetes, or also a urinary tract infection. All alcohol contains sugar, it's part of the distillation/brewing process, so if it *is* diabetes, you should get the same odor no matter what type of alcohol you drink, although the intensity might vary from spirit to spirit. But I would recommend you see your doctor, and get it checked out, everything is easier to treat when discovered early.
i really dont know what you are refering to either.  do mean mean the smell on yourself or the smell others detect?   If i can smell it on myself then i must have spilled some.  beer is easy to pick up by others way more than whisky.   whiskey is easier to hide from others than beer.  damn it takes 15 beers to get the fillin and that **** sticks with ya.
You need to have a doctors exam.  Check for diabetes immediately.  I am a diabetic and recovering alcoholic and I used to get both a sweet odor that came from my body and my breath when I drank my whiskey!  I however, never drank the cheap kind, but that makes NO difference!  Alcohol is Alcohol!  Crown or not is all will kill ya' even quicker if you are diabetic!
Take Care
Tink
The odor picked up by others is the same smell you smell yourself, at least once the dullness of the senses caused by the alcohol wears off. And whiskey spilled on you doesn't smell sweet, unless you drink Southern Comfort, Yukon Jack, etc. Regular whiskey simply smells like whiskey. And I can tell you from both the standpoint of an alcoholic and a bartender, hiding the smell of any alcohol from others only works if they aren't familiar with alcohol. Even vodka, which can be hidden best on the breath, has a very distinct odor when it is 'sweated out' of the body. ;)
I'm sorry, it's an odor that comes from my body. After i have a few glasses i can smell it on my arm, fingers and all over. If i keep drinking the next day i don't really smell anymore but my place does smell of that sweet odor. If i do see a doctor and i do have diabetes, how much can i drink?
Well IF you are an alcoholic my suggestion is none. Go to a A.A meeting if you're not sure.