Alcoholism Community
Symptoms of the end stage

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Symptoms of the end stage

My mom has been drinking for 30 or so years.  She has really gone downhill the past year, especially this week.   The family has noticed she is very confused, pale and cannot walk very well. (being sober)  She is also complaining about leg cramps.  She is not sleeping.  She cannot get to sleep.  She is up all night.  She did bleed from the rectum but not lately.  She is very bloated  in her face and neck.
The family is concerned if she is near the end.  I know it is a terrible thing to ask and I know we will never be prepared but what do you think?  
The past year she has been drinking heavily.
We lost our father to cancer and thank God he went very quickly in his sleep and was not in pain for long.  Now, my mother is in pain and we just don't know what to do.
She refuses to go to the hospital because everytime she went she said they just keep poking her and taking blood and then sent her home

Please any advice for us.

Is she still drinking or sober now? I am confused.
I wish I could tell you more but further testing is needed. A blood test would reveal a lot about her condition. At that point only a qualified MD that has access to her medical files could make an attempt to answer your question.

With her history of drinking it is very possible that she could have liver disease by now and perhaps just is not ready to do anything about it. She should be informed though that the diagnosis of cirrhosis is not a death sentance. In many cases such as my own cirrhotic patients can live for many years depending on the life style they choose lead. Please know that this is just an example of what a simple blood test could help indicate and not by any means a suggestion that this is the problem she has.

Medical treatment is needed immediately. I wish the best for you and your family.

Randy
She is still drinking and will not stop.
She is 85 and I don't think a transplant is in her future.  Unfortunately she just won't stop drinking.  
thanks
prayers for u my dear.....how this must hurt......have u ever attended Al-Anon?even if she refuses help...there is support for u!
sorry to hear that, in my belief, GOD only helps those who help themselves. She def needs medical care and couldnt even stop drinking now without it, cause she could die from detoxing by herself.