Alcoholism Community
The dangers of quitting cold turkey

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

The dangers of quitting cold turkey

I made the decision to quit drinking today.  This morning I learned that my 32 year old son died of "complications of chronic alcoholism".  My step son advised my against quitting cold turkey because of the danger involved.  I've been reading about it on line when I came across this site.  I have an appointment with my medical doctor next week to ask for advise.  I've been in therapy from 2 months since my son died.  Does anyone else here know of someone who died the same way that my son did?  He just collapsed and his heart stopped.
I go to AA and I've heard stories as you've described all the time. Yes, you should be detoxed by a medical professional; just as you plan to do. GOOD FOR YOU!!! This is a major step in the right direction for you. Congratulations on your decision to get your life back. Stick around on here. We're good for supporting you in that decision. Along with the medical detox aspect get all the support you can from people who've walked in your shoes. Detox is an event, recovery is a process.
Sir, I am sorry to hear about your son.

I detoxed from alcohol cold turkey after many years of hard drinking and if I had it to do over again I would seek professional help. I thought a time or two I was going to die. Many have gotten by with it and unfortunately, many haven't.

As open mind said  above "Good for you"!
One thing I can tell you through out your detox and into your recovery, always remember to Keep Your Guard Up!

Best of luck to you and stay around, you will get a lot of help here.
I received a letter from the Medical Examiners office today.  I found my glasses and prepared myself as I opened the letter.  Inside was a "form" telling me that the results were in.  If I want a copy of my son's "cause of death" records, I'll have to send them a check!  OMG!  I have to PAY to receive this dreaded document?!  What a slap in the face!

I crumpled up the letter and threw it in the trash, only to retrieve it several hours later.  Here I am, up in the middle of the night.  I dug the letter out of the trash.  I'll write the check and pathetically wait for the records to arrive via USPS.

My Son was an upstanding, respected member of society.  He owned his own home on 1/3 acre in a nice neighborhood, was married and had 2 beautiful children.  He wasn't a druggie or a dead beat.  He was a talented, hard working young man.  He owned a successful business and had the world in his hand until the recession hit.  After that, his wife got into drugs and left him for another man...her drug dealer.  He fought four long years to bring his family back together, but it wasn't enough.  No matter what he did or how hard he tried, it was never enough.

He spent his last several months working hard and spending a lot of time with his children.  When his wife was "unavailable" to care for the kids, my son found a way to have them with him.  Night and day was all about the kids.  He brought them out to see me and all of the family (4 generations) only 2 weeks before he passed.  Everyone had a super good time!

I know that my son's death was related to chronic alcohol abuse, but it just doesn't make sense.  He was only 32 and was seemingly physically fit.  I suppose I need to order the copies of the lab tests so that I can make some kind of sense out of all of this?

Sheesh....this is so hard!  Just when I think I'm okay, I'm NOT, not at all!
I'm new here, I don't really know how everything works.  Please look at my latest comment.  I'm so torn and upset tonight.  My son is dead and the medical examiner sends me a letter telling me I have to pay to know what exactly happened to my son?  Things like this just shoot me back to square one.  I've been working so hard to deal with this.  Why can't they spare a few sheets of paper and a stamp?  I pay my taxes after all!
Heartfelt condolences upon the loss of your son!:(That is crap of the hospital BUT hospitals and health care insurance companies have one goal......PROFIT!at any expense!its not @ the patient or the consumer....its getting every red cent they can squeeze out of taxpayers!and its been allowed to mushroom into the monster its become for many years!you have no choice but to play ball and give them their $$....sadly so:(so who has the children now?
His estranged wife.  Living in my son's house with her drug dealer.  There's an entire army of people "watching" including my older son, neighbors, relatives, police, school, ect.  Waiting for her to trip up, then we'll make our move.  Son want's custody.  He lives nearby and has a house big enough to take them in.  Praying this will happen soon!
I've been allowing myself a small amount of alcohol each evening until I see my doc on Thursday this week.  My friends came out to visit over the weekend and the temptation to "party" was there.  I had a couple drinks with them, then called it a night.  I'm proud that I was able to do that.  "Before", I would have drank until I was ready to crash.  I'm confident that I can get clean.  I have to do this in honor of my son.  I couldn't live with the guilt of his death being in vain.  Also, I don't want my family and friends to suffer another loss due to alcohol.
SOB regarding the ex having the kids w/the dope dealer in the house!So glad the house is being watched and the the right move will be made @ the right time!good move u've cut down on the drinking...i can imagine ur anxiety level but wanting to be totally numb is understandable but not the best choice!Have u ever been to an AA mtg?
No, I've never been to an AA meeting, but have considered it.  I'm a DV survivor, and group therapy helped me break the pattern.  I'm sure AA would play the same sort of role.  Understanding, and breaking the pattern.  I see my doctor this Thursday to learn how to quit in the safest possible way.  In the mean time, I'm allowing myself a night cap or two each evening, but that's it!  I haven't had a "buzz" or a hang over in 8 days now.  Off to a good start!
I saw my medical doctor today.  He confirmed the fact that it is not safe to quit cold turkey.  He gave he some meds.  One is an anti seisure drug, and one is an for anxiety.  I was completely straight up with my doctor.  I told him the truth about my consumption and told him that I want to quit!  He gave me the prescriptions and told me to limit my drinks to 4 ounces per evening.  That's easy because I did that by myself...but....I haven't been sleeping well, having the hot flashes, cold flashes, aches & pains and just plain NOT SLEEPING!  The prescriptions are supposed to help with that.  I'll see doc again in one week.  Thanks to ALL OF YOU who have giving me the proper advice to detox in a healthy way.  {{hugs}}
i went thru all ur going thru 30 years ago dear!:( i know how it stinks:(but it won't be 4 ever!drinking a lot of water,pure fruit juices plus lean proteins and good complex carb foods helps...try to avoid too much sweet stuff even tho u may find u crave it!too much caffeine will aggravate the heck out of it 2!
My apologies for not stopping back again to check this post. Also I addressed you as sir when you have female listed. I have been busy and missed your posts.

How are you doing today? It's good that you can taper, I tried it many times and it just wouldn't work for me, I ended up drinking as much as I did before. Maybe try taking a HOT shower right before you go to bed, take your meds just prior to that and you might get some sleep that way. It will come back to you just hang in there.

I used to think I was having a good time when I was drinking but, now I am so happy that I quit! I deal with life's issues family, friends and, business with a completely different attitude. Some times I miss it and cravings will hit but I weigh the two and being sober always wins hands down.

I hope you are doing well. Stay with it, it's worth the time and trouble.