Alcoholism Community
Turning point

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Turning point

This thread I want to hear what made you or your loved ones finally say enough is enough I need to stop my destructive behavior. The reason I ask this question, is I know when I was little making my mom sick from being hungover and her realizing that she wasn't being a good mother, but leaving that task on me to care for my brother and me. That was her turning point.

My dads was my mom and him getting into a really horrible fight. As they fought he had her backing up from her being scared of him. She shouted at him I am going to leave you if you would rather drink then be with your family. My dad at that moment turned and saw himself in a mirror. He realized he wasn't himself. He is usually a patient and kind person. These were turning points for my parents.

My dad felt shame as he looked in the mirror and recognized it. My mom felt guilt as she saw that I had taken over caring for my brother and was acting as a mother even towards her. These feelings probably drove them to drink but also made them change. I am hoping that if I can understand other people's turning points maybe I can touch my husband, and make him see the need for change.

Thanks for your time. I sincerely appreciate any answers. For those of you who already believe I asked this question, it is slightly different I want to know feelings and why this was your turning point. Thanks again.
Kimberly
For myself Kimberly, I was homeless, with no money, not even welfare because I didn't have an address. I met my husband, and moved in with him. While I was on the street, I told myself that the first time that I have the opportunity, I will get and stay clean. When I finally had a place to live, and someone who cared, my first move was to go to an outpatient treatment center and order blood and urine testing every two days (for two years) to provide for the lawyer I would need to get my son back  I needed a job and I couldn't afford to lose it to my using anything.  The reason I went and stayed and made it work, in treatment, was my son. The same situation was true for my husband, he had been treated like he was immoral by his x wife, and newly separated he was drinking a great deal when I met him. He had a daughter that he had to come clean for. and I insisted that we get clean and sober so I could bring my son to live with us. And we never looked back. We quit together on my son's birthday in July 99.  Your husband is in our prayers. If only he could understand that you don't miss using one bit, when you give your body and mind a chance to heal and live in sobriety. It's so easy to do, for something that seems so hard.
U and ur husband have defied the stats of addicted couples who recover!i know what hard work the both of u have done to achieve this!We are blessed to have u in this forum.U offer such good advice to those here seeking help- may they heed it!
Thanks for your honesty. See, I believe everyone has that moment when they decide enough is enough. Through this forum and my own experiences with family, it seems like it is when they feel they have hit rock bottom, or have hit rock bottom.

I am wondering if fitting stories of other people's lives with my husband...will open his eyes? I would have to do it causally and bring it up just in a conversation. It shouldn't be hard if I get him talking about people at his job or old job. Since at his old job they were always drinking when they had off, and at his new job, they don't get not smoking. Both are ways to lead into why that behavior isn't good, and what it can take to get out of it.

Anyways it was just a thought. I pray more people place their stories here it will be inspiration for those who are newly trying to get sober as well. May God be with all of ya,
Kimberly