Alcoholism Community
Typical withdrawal?

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Typical withdrawal?

I'm 22. I have been drinking pretty heavily for a little over a year. I just quit drinking 2 weeks ago. I feel really tired, confused and not like myself, my mind races and goes into panic mode and I have terrible panic attacks at night. Is this normal after quitting drinking? Will it go away and when? Could it be damage from drinking?
Take a look at this thread, I think you will find a lot of answers there.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Alcoholism/quitting-drinking-and-tiredness/show/374585#post_9104564
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anxiety is a very common withdrawal symptom. For many it will go away in time. If this is effecting your work then you should consider seeing a doctor for medication to help. Be honest with your doctor and do not accept "Xanax" as a medication for treatment. It is highly addictive and you wouldn't want to be trading one addiction for another. I wish you the best and congratulations on your sobriety!

Randy
I have already been taking Xanax at night for the anxiety ever since I quit drinking a couple weeks ago. Could that be part of the reason I'm having reoccurring anxiety attacks at night? Is 2 weeks long enough to become mentally dependent on Xanax?
I had rebound anxiety from that drug, happens to a smaller percentage of people my doctor said, when he took me off. Go back to your doctor and tell him whats happening. I wouldn't suggest taking anything addictive like Xanax. There are non addictive medicines if you have anxiety problems, but detoxing off alcohol would be over by now.  Good job on quitting drinking, congratulations.