Alcoholism Community
Upper Abdominal & Lung Pain

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Upper Abdominal & Lung Pain

It might be a pretty small issue but I've been having chest (lower lung) and abdominal( (upper) pain since a night out three days back. It was a really rough night, we were drinking alot and I threw up about 4 times seperately, although close interval, and each for about 4-5 heaves. Ever since then I've been having these chest pains, especially when I breathe. I guess it could be because of the harsh muscle contractrion from vomiting, but its been 3 days and really annoying for sleep.
Thankful for answers
are u a heavy smoker?one pack a day considered heavy in my book coupled with drinking!3 days is  a long time to feel the soreness from this.....also how many times a week do u drink and how much at each episode?regular drinking with upped consumption plus smoking can cause esophageal wearing on its own minus the vomiting episode.
Well, it's about one pack when I'm out drinking, and less when I'm not (buying a new pack every third day). I can say this week has been pretty rough due to celebrations. The chain when from last friday, then saturday, then monday, wednesday, friday, saturday up until yesterday when I really felt I should have stayed at home, but I thought the pain was only temporary so I went out anyway. All these occasions I can say I got pretty drunk (pretty hard drinker so aim at drunk almost always). Friday was the one that started the pain and when I got really drunk.
What do you reckon?
wow u r a youngster !19!how many years have u been drinking for?it would be wise for u to see a doctor and be completely honest...do u throw up a frequently when u drink?alcohol in large quantities is a irritant to the stomach lining and esophagus,which really takes a beating during vomiting.i'm sure Boogieman will jump on here and comment..he is a fountain of knowledge!:)
Perhaps 5 years back. Although I rarely throw up, about 1-3 nights each year because I usually know when I've had one too many, but on special occasions you just want to stretch the limit a little, so similar to this friday, it got a little out of hand. Right now it seems/ feels like you explained about the esophagus, like it took a beating because of the vomiting, because I don't think I've ever vomited that much before. I'm going to assume its a minor thing and stay alert for couple of days to see if it gets any better.
Stick around though and thanks alot! :)
Ah young man it is never a minor thing but i too at age 19 can recall thinking like you!:)i began to drink at 14- drugs 17 -went to rehab at age 28 and am now 53....so u keep us posted and try not to abuse that young body too bad!:)
hi. strangely enough i have experienced what you described off and on lately, esp. when inhaling. it seems to have dissipated now, but it was pretty uncomfortable. my initial thought, at first, was worst case scenario of the big "c" due to the smokes. the main difference is that i've been sober now for a little while and have a lot more on my chemical resume. but when i was your age, there was no such thing as not getting drunk once i began. like ibi said above, the upper gi system is one of the most heavily damaged in folks that drink a lot, but in your case you may have just overdone it. i used to throw up every day, but i was also consuming over 1/2 gallon of liquor a day. when we keep forcing what is essentially a toxin into our bodies enough, our bodies do react. this may be a good opportunity for you took take an honest look at your consumption, and if the pain continues you should get assessed by a competent physician. i started to party when i was around 14 also, and i began hitting hospitals of various kinds a month after my 21st. birthday. remember, you are never too young. take care,  gm
hello boogie!knew u would offer your accurate pearls of wisdom/xperience!ah youth!in retrospect necessary hindsight for our recovery today!:)wouldn't go back to using for nothing!:)
Thanks a bunch to both of you :) Interesting to hear that youth hasn't changed all that much since your days. It's relieved quite a bit now, so it's probably getting better. The future is a tricky one, but I'll do my best, experience is a darn good and harsh lesson.
Thx again :)
youth hasn't changed much in terms of chemicals liquid and otherwise in which the person can practice insanity which is repeating the same behavior and hoping for different results........we all been there and done that.....the sober/clean ones here have failed miserably at social drinking/drug use which propelled the committment to recovery.Pain is a great motivator but i've seen many ignore it and keep active in their disease die or in/out jails and prisons for a great majority of their lives.But in terms of today ah much has changed...so many self absorbed with such a violent society and a lack of respect for earth and fellow man/women.Many say to me...u look like u never left the 70's!I reply i wish i never had to.....those were the best of times to me....i still go there a lot in my head!David u will be in my prayers in your journey with trying to control the Beast of Drinking...i hope no harm comes to u or others......sure hope u do not drink and drive!:)Namaste.....aka as Peace!:)Natalie Cole was right on in her interview with Larry King.....been thru rehab 3 x's and looking for a kidney due to Hep C.....she said recovery takes a focused mental resolve....a complete committment to oneself to rid your life soul and spirit of the disease of addiction....Amen my Recovering sister!
Ibi and Boogie, I haven't been on here much, when I do the beauty of the pearls I read from both of you always gives me something that makes my heart richer.

Don't do what I did David....think I always had another recovery until I didn't. I don't know if what you feel is what I live with, but for me, my diaphram will never be the same. The muscles around my rib cage also, pain me every day.

I was a weekend drunk, a responsible drinker. I had a job, children whom I love sooo much. I was drinking and drinking to the point where finally on days where I wasn't my mind would play tricks on me. Like waiting at a toll booth for the light to turn green.

Well, heck, that went away, good thing.  Drank more and now sometimes I cannot recall nouns and I haven't had a drink in 14 years.

I'm an artist, a mother, a model, a daughter, a wife and I thought I could drink and recover over and over but the last time was one time too many and my recovery is not quality. I feel like hell, I look like hell, but I live my life and am grateful I have it but do wish I grabbed sobriety when I could have had it HEALTHY.

So good to see u posting!i've seen pics of u and i don't think u look like hell!what really matters is that FOR TODAY we have our recovery some sanity!:)and appreciate what really matters in life....good friends and family!like Helen Reddy sang yes i'm wise but its wisdom for the pain...this is how we humans learn....and there will always be those that refuse to learn!
My point to Dave was we all have another drink, we all don't have another recovery.

mine wasn't quality. I will be sick forever.
u got that right....u and i don't have another recovery.....ppl ask well don't u just have A glass of wine?i chortle......i NEVER had one glass...more like one fifth or skip that.. one magnum.....we 2 old for that stuff girl!it would kill me and my animals would not like the way i smell or cozy up to a drunken woman!no class there!!!!