Alcoholism Community
Very serious Drinker

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Very serious Drinker

hello, my mom is a very serious drinker, she drinks about a bottle of whickey every two days sometimes in only one day, she is small only about 120 pounds. when she gets badly drunk she makes up stories "serious" stories like she is in a whole nother world. But worse when she is really drunk her hands and feet tence up and she isnt able to walk or pick anything up. i have no clue what this could mean and she wont go to the doctor to get any help. please help me. thanks
Tags: drinker, serious?, help, please help, Doctor, help me, hand, mom, alcholism
It's very likely she is becoming dangerously dehydrated. The more alcohol she consumes the more dehydrated she becomes.

Low energy, loss of muscle strength, endurance and feeling tired are symptoms of dehydration. There are many other symptoms such as not producing tears  and tachycardia (fast heart rate). The heart rate increases in an attempt to maintain the blood pressure. Fluid replacement is urgent and if the person cannot consume adequate fluids he should be taken to the doctor. Dehydration can become life threatening.

The average person should consume 8 to 10 glasses of water daily. Gatorade also works very well to hydrate. She really needs to get in to see a doctor to make sure she hasn't done any major damage.

Also I'm not a doctor either but I bet i'm right ha ha  It's very important for her to stop drinking. The amount she is drinking is a lot. I was only 38 when I got diagnosed with cirrhosis (end stage) I apologize to put more pressure on you, I know it's hard enough already. Sometimes it takes a loved one to straiten us out. All she really needs is a blood test and the doctor will know what kind of shape her liver is in. She can decide how to handle that. I figure it's worth a try, it can be very hard to convince an alcoholic to stop drinking. Test results on the other hand could help motivate her. Okay I'm babbling now but I really wish the best for you both and I hope it helps! God bless you!
Randy
I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. I'm not a doctor and cannot diagnose why your Mom's hands and feet are seizing. I can tell you that alcohol affects the brain, henceforth the neurological system can be affected.
Do YOURSELF a favor and look in your phonebook or online for AL-Anon meetings in your area. You cannot go through this alone. These people can help you immensely.
Thank you...  

Randy
And yet I forgot to include muscle cramping is a symptom! ooopsy!