Alcoholism Community
Violent shaking while intoxicated

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Violent shaking while intoxicated

When I've had several drinks sometimes I get this tightening of my shoulders and then my arms start to violently shake.  I am conscious but can't talk well and have a hard time standing up or walking and it seems like I'm trying to stretch out my shoulder muscles.  The episode lasts for a minute or so and then I'm fine for awhile, then it starts again; sometimes it will stop or it will stop when I go to bed.
The next day I feel fine except I feel tingley all over and my upper and lower eyelids will twitch and my lips will start getting really tight and the muscles in my arms will contract my fingers in.
Does anyone have any idea what this is?  I've been thinking dehydration or I'm missing a mineral or something but I'd really like to know if anyone gets this and what it is.
Thank you.
I don't know. I hope someone can shed a light on that for you. I shake badly the day after a couple bottles of wine. lately my eyelids have been jumping, but I'm putting that down to tiredness. Is it possible that you're allergic to alcohol ?
I think you are an alcoholic and your body is reacting that way because it wants more. I believe you are probably drinking hard alcohol, and this happened to me when I drank hard alcohol during the day. I would quit drinking as you are heading for serious alcohol problems and serious damage to your body.
I'd love to get an answer too.  I get the jumpy eyelids the next day also but it also happens when I haven't really eaten that much.
Weird.
Thanks for your input.
How could my body be wanting more while I am consuming it?  I wasn't really looking for advice on alcoholism, I am wondering why, what is the physiologic process that is happening.  Did you ever find an answer to that?
Thank you.
Surely, it is due to dehydration. Drink lot of water. Eat fruits. Stop alcohol consumption.
Hey there, just seen your comment now. Yes I get jumpy eyelids, it feels a bit mad! before alcohol came into the picture I would rarely get it, but when I did, the school nurse always said it was tiredness. the fact that I used to rarely get it, but did all the same, before I ever had a drink, makes me think it's not drink related.
And by the way I was never dehydrated, underfed or anything like that. boarding school.... yes I might have been tired, that's a possibility when sharing a dorm with 13 other girls, some that snore!!!! That's when it first started happening. So I really think it's lack of quality sleep.
Hello and welcome to MedHelp.

While the other have already provided you with excellent answers I wanted to also mention low blood sugar:

Alcohol Metabolism

Alcohol is absorbed through the gastrointestinal tract and metabolized through several pathways. The majority of alcohol metabolism takes place in the liver, which is also the primary location of glucose production. Because of this, alcohol intake can interfere with the liver's production of glucose and may cause hypoglycemia -- or low blood sugar. Alcohol intake can lower blood sugar immediately and up to 12 hours after ingestion. While this effect can occur both in diabetics and non-diabetics alike, diabetics should use additional caution when drinking alcohol, especially if taking glucose-lowering medications such as insulin.

You can read a lot more at: http://diabetes.webmd.com/tc/hypoglycemia-low-blood-sugar-topic-overview

I think it's worth getting to the doc for some lab work. I hope this helps and good luck.

Randy