Alcoholism Community
Want to Quit Drinking, But Can't Sleep Without It

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

I'm trying to quit drinking, but I can't sleep unless I drink.  My doctor won't prescribe me sleep aids until I've quit for 30 days.  How am I supposed to quit if I can't sleep at night? I have a full-time job that I can't afford to lose.  OTC's don't help.  Should I get another doctor?  Xanax works great, but everyone's worried I'll get addicted to it.  I can't go without sleep for 30 days.  Help!
I am confused....i thought ur husband was the one with the alcohol problem!
What difference does it make whether it's her husband? A person asking for help shouldn't be judged, they should be congratulated. Try going to your local health store and asking for an herbal remedy, such as melatonin.
i know when i was pregnant, my Dr had me taking OTC unisom, it worked great. i am also a fan of teas, though, Get some ZZZ's, Get relaxed, nighty night, chamimille....they are akk good.  or you can go the melatonin route, i know that valerian, melatonin and 5-THP are a good natural combo.

1content....i think Ibizan is just curious becaause honesty is such a big problem on these sights. we can only go by what one says, and when it comes to alcoholism, i know ibizan is here to help save lives from this disease, and wants everyone to be honest, including with themselves.  

dont mean to stick my nose in, but i think only good intentions are underlying with her question.

hope that helps for your sleeping, i found the teas and supps at my local GNC or health food store.
thank you so grateful-uiee posted that her husband had the problem and had made a deragatory comment about 12 step so it made me curious.....and 1content- it is wise to be wary of trolls in these forums sometimes ppl post argumentative and deragatory things trying to cause conflict-being the community leader here i have to trawl the waters for that!
i completely understand, and saw that myself, i too thought that was odd...but for you as a community leader i know it is imperative for you to weed out certain things....and i applaud you, i can only imagine what would be on here if you werent here to monitor...thanks for your good work

i too agree about the 12 steps, besides being in AA, i think everyone who followed a 12 step program just for everyday life ould live a richer fuller life, and again, that is MY opinion, but statistically, so many others apparently agree as well.  Good luck to all, whatever program you choose as long as it works for you
Hi ibizan,
As any one serous about recovery knows honesty is the foundation of recovery.
I accept others are entitled to there opinion but there is a line between helpful comments and making insulting and judgmental comments about a program that has worked for many people for many years, these comments are unhelpful and serve no purpose here.
I have found you to be a very fair and impartial CL, some one with experience and knowledge of addiction who has helped me and others like me to stay sober.
For this I am grateful.
Keep up the good work.
Ray
Recovery involves painful decisions. You need to speak to your family doctor about possible withdrawal symptoms.
I found that the reason I could not sleep after stopping was because my thinking was all messed up, my thoughts were in active overdrive. When this happened I got up and did some thing to distract my thoughts like counting back from 100. I listened to music until I relaxed. Then went back to bed and usually got some sleep or at least some rest…
Keep drinking and you will eventually loose the job anyway.
Speak with your doctor and stick with your doctor as they know your medical history.
Get some help and listen to the advice that you get.
Wishing you well in recovery.
Ray

thank u sograteful and rod......we all know there are many roads to recovery...and each one is to be respected and given credence too...and bashing of any sort will not be tolerated by Medhelp who monitors our comments and myself as assistant monitor!all 3 of us have taken from AA and me with NA as well-what we could use and left the rest...if others would so SIMPLY do the same they might have a recovery with more serenity!
The saying "you cant con a con" comes into play here.  I too am confused but also understand the mind of an addict......sara

ibizan.....you do a fantastic job with this forum.  It is a safe place to come and i find much peace and harmony here.........sara
Be careful getting sleeping pills so you can quit drinking. You'll end up drinking and taking the pills anyway... I tell you from personal experience.