Alcoholism Community
What determines an alcoholic?

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

What determines an alcoholic?

I was just wondering when to determine when someone is an alcoholic? most people have their own limits to what they can handle, all bodies are different and affected in different ways.
I myself drink 2 bottles of red wine per night and have done since for approx 10 years, i drink to relax at night and i like it. Im 38 years old, 6ft tall 200lbs. i don't get hangovers or feel ill, I'm fit, i cycle every day, i eat a healthy diet and take multi vitamins. If someone should say I'm an alcoholic I would question this as i don't suffer any ill effects, i can run, jump, do press ups, i feel fit, so because i have 2 bottles of wine a night would i be labelled as an alcoholic?
Just wondering what people think on the subject.
Well it seems as if u have answered ur own question!ur healthy and are not having any consequences as a result of ur drinking!
Here is a test for you...try to go a couple nights without drinking?  Can you do it and still feel fine?  If not, sorry but you probably have a problem.  Best of luck!
Interesting  I suppose the big question is how would you feel if you could not have your wine?
Well I think the fact that you here asking if your an acoholic may indicate you have a problem. Someone who could take it or leave it wouldn't drink every night nor would they be here. I don't think it's any big deal though, since it sounds like you take care of yourself but do be careful not to let this stuff ever get the best of you! :) It's sure not like any of us woke up one day and thought "I want to be an alcoholic!" lol

Randy
Alcoholism and alcohol dependant are two different things,if you can't go one night without a drink,then you are deft class as alcohol dependant
Two bottles of wine a day is a huge amount of alcohol, and our bodies do tolerate more and more over time.  You might see a doc and ask to have liver function tests.  That will tell you what condition your liver is.  Most people don't sleep well when they over drink.  It will knock them out, but they usually wake up during the night.  I agree with others to stop drinking anything for a couple of days and see if (1) you crave it (2) feel deprived without it (3) feel better or worse.
The question I would ask is has your drinking ever effected your mood or actions, your ability to work or a relationship. Two bottles of wine is above the recommended daily amount and not medically recommended for any person, so I would worry about your health long term.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention a few things. Did you know that most peope with cirrhosis do not have symptoms until they have reached the final stage? I recieved my diagnosis March 2010. I was 38.

Randy
Hello Randy

How are you doing? I'm still really well and happy, hope you are good too :-)
Hi Rachel! It's good to hear from you. I wonder how you are from time to time. Im so glad you are doing well and maintaining your sobriety!

Things here are going real good. I dont remember if I told you but a couple of months ago I moved from Texas to Nashville Tennessee. Monday will be my first appointment with my new doctor and she will get me set up with a hepatologist (liver specialist) and gastroenterologist (specializing in the digestive system to include the liver). I have never seen a hepatologist before since there were none available in the city I lived in so im am really looking forward to that and getting second opinion. Here I will also be registering with a transplant facility as a precaution but it's still my opinion my recovery is going well and my condition has stabilized according to my last ultrasound. No further progression of cirrhosis is a very good thing :)

With every blood lab I bring home a copy and review it take what steps I can to help bring the liver enzymes that are out of range back to where they need to be. This is done every three months and I compare each test to the last. Not everything is in my power to change due to the cirrhosis but it's always fun trying and can be rewarding!

Have I mentioned that I am so proud of you for all that you have accomplished?! You have done what is necessary to get your life back on track! Smile and take pride in that. Take care my friend!

Randy
2 bottles of wine per day is enough to do you serious damage over the long haul. Even if you feel like alcohol is not having an adverse effect on your life, it is damaging your health in ways you can't see. You don''t have to lose your job, end up in jail, etc. to be a problem drinker. I hope you will decide to take care of yourself. I was a moderate to heavy drinker for years and finally quit with the help of AA out of concern over my own health. I was very reluctant to try AA for a variety of reasons and though I don't buy into everything they say, it is the most effective way to stay off of alcohol so I'm sticking with it. I am much happier than when I was drinking.

The advice that others have given you here to try quitting alcohol cold turkey could be dangerous at your level of consumption. I would taper off gradually or talk to a psychiatrist or physician. about going on xanax or clonazepam while your body adjusts.

Best of luck to you.

Spin Boldak
Good advice overall........and i'm w/u on the AA...take what u can use and leave the rest......it helped me achieve 28 yrs.sober/clean.I used NA 2 for I qualified for both programs!I disagree w/the psychiatrist route-many are pill pushers and clueless @how dangerous Xanax and benzos are for an alcoholic........if these are to be used it should be in a hospital setting while someone is going thru xtreme withdrawal and CLOSELY monitored by a doctor who BELIEVES in the disease concept of addiction.