Alcoholism Community
Why is it so hard to quit this time?

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Why is it so hard to quit this time?

Hello to who can help with my issues and questions.
Well my long story is , growing up my father was an alcoholic, had my first drink at 14, and left home at 15 , indulged in alcohol , got in lots of trouble and problems. CT at 23, life was great, very happy with no extra drama caused from alcohol. Then about 1 1/2 ago started norcos about 2-4 a day and ended up having my first drink last Halloween and just progressed from there now I have been 4 days sober from alcohol but still taking norcos from relapsing from 2 weeks of total sobriety b4 this. It just so much harder this time mentally I think it's from the norco use, seems like the mental wd is so hard, can anyone help me with how to deal with stopping the norcos now so I don't get tempted to drink plzzzzzz . I'm 29 now.
Hi DoubleTrouble..
I would recommend you check out the Substance Abuse forum You will pick up all kinds of tips on how to get off the norco and how to stay clean.. AA NA are both good to join for support also.. You did this once you can do it again adding the opiates to the mix does make it harder this is for sure but it is doable.. lesa
As Lesa says, being cross addicted is harder, but it is 100% doable and you will find many friends that can help you, here, and at AA and NA. You will never be alone with your addiction, from this day forward if you dont' want to be. If you  reach out every single day ~ you will have clean and sober people in your life every single day.

I think you should post in the substance abuse forum as well, since you are now cross addicted. The absolute best thing to do is to get to an Addictions Counselor at an Outpatient Rehab, if you can. You are worth it ~

Congratulations on your drive to get and stay clean and sober my friend. You will never regret long term sobriety. I now have over 5000 days clean and sober using the program of Alcoholics Anonymous, and Narcotics Anonymous. Do you have the Big Book and the 12 Step Book yet? It will really help to surround yourself with the program of Alcoholics Anonymous. God bless you, and keep reaching out and making friends in the program.
Liz
I have tried about 4 times to get off but I relapsed each time around the same amount of days of sobriety. I get bad withdrawls and have also been to the ER about % times trying to get off of it, but they don't help much, stick an IV in me and gave me tramadol and a muscle relaxer. I really want to quit both, when I stop taking norco I drink, but I have also drank alot with the norcos. i just want my old self and life back. thnx for your input.
thnx Nighthawk61, Im going to look into a detox and try outpatient if I cant detox myself.
Please do check out the substance abuse forum. Cross addiction just makes things that much more difficult. I am an alcoholic who was sober for almost 2 years when I started using Norcos. I now have almost 5 months clean, but every craving that I have is for alcohol. It can be very tricky. Build up as much support as you can. If you don't already, try to attend either NA or AA meetings. Counseling of some sort may help to. It's always good to get to the root of your using and recognize triggers so you can prevent relapse. Just know that you are not alone in this. We are here for you. Good luck to you and take care of yourself.