Worry That I Am An Alcoholic
Hi everyone. I don't really consider myself an alcoholic (yet) but I do realize that I have a problem with alcohol. I drink 1-2 days per week, but when I drink I don't just want a glass of wine or beer...I want a bottle of wine or a pitcher of beer. In other words, I don't drink for the taste, if I am drinking I want to get drunk. I know this isn't good for my mind or body. Most of the time I'll do this once per week (sometimes I'll skip a week and not drink at all), but sometimes I'll get drunk twice depending on what is going on (social events). I'm 25 and this behavior was normal in college but not so much anymore. I do feel guilty and try to hide how much I've been drinking from my boyfriend and my dad, who don't approve. Both my parents have a problem with alcohol (yes, even my dad who comments on my drinking when he notices it). I don't miss work, I don't crave alcohol everyday, I don't even really like the act of drinking...just the feeling of being drunk. Can I find moderation here or am I heading down a dangerous road? Thank you for any help.
Hello...

Unfortunately you are heading down a very serious road.  It started the same for me.  And eventually you will start to crave it..because you are using it to make you numb.  As I read your note, I see pain.  I don't know why, but there is a reason you wish to be drunk.  For me it was grief.  And getting drunk, I just didn't feel it anymore.  I thought I was just being social at first too.  And if people are noticing, it must be worse than you think.  

Trust me .... you want to get help now before it gets worse.  And think hard about why you wish to get drunk.  What is the underlineing reason?

Good luck!!!
Google and read the brain chemistry factor in addiction......WE have faulty wiring!ur story sounds SO much like mine......but i was never successful @ attempts to control it!why do we do this?brain chemistry,genetics,like the feeling, emotional underpinnings...it all goes 2 gether in one BIG ball of wax called addiction!
Thank you for your responses :) any suggestions of where I could turn to for help? I don't think I'd quite fit in at AA at this point and I haven't heard great things about it either. Thank you so much for any help!
I am not sure the underlying reason I want to get drunk...I think it stems from wanting to feel more confident, funnier, sexier, etc...and I guess things just seem more "fun" when you are drunk...dancing, watching the game, even going to the movies...sad I know...
AGAIN google the brain chemistry behind addiction!AA works if u want sobriety bad enough........sober ppl......take what u can use and leave the rest....don't compare urself out of the room....it and NA plus a 360 degree lifestyle change helped me to reach 28 years sober/clean....29 11/22/12!