Alcoholism Community
alcohol addiction

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

alcohol addiction

i am 26 years old and have an alcohol problem. i go weeks and or days without drinking and use the aa program. working with my doctor today to start anabuse possiblly. i want to stop slipping and going back and try so hard is this a good route to give it a go ?
I'm not really an AA person, but I can tell you the decision to stop drinking was the hardest thing for me.
I think if you are involved with AA you should have a sponsor, right? Someone to talk to?
I can say with ceartinty that if you have'nt made the decision in your own mind to stop drinking that there is no program or pill that will stop for you.

I hope you find a program that will work for you. Stay with AA, there is alot of help there.  You have to be accountable to someone.
When you really decide you are  going to quit, you will find a way.
Good you have addressed your drinking problem to your doctor. First step is honesty, you can use that antiabuse drug if you want to. I suggest going to lots and lots of AA meetings and getting a GOOD sponsor with long time sobriety for your support system. Its good you are getting on top of your addiction before you get health problems from alcohol. If you haven't already started with a sponsor, get onto your 12 steps. Life is so much better being sober, and thank god for the 12 step program of AA. Best Wishes!!
I am using antabuse to quit drinking.  But then again: I did so +10 times in the last 2years.  It is easely cheated.  I quitted antabuse 'for the weekend'.  For big festivals.  For the airing of a good tv-serie..  I am now 5days sober.  but allready I've planned that in the last weekend of the month: i will nestle myself in my couch with olives & cheese & Abbey beers to watch the episodes of 'Game of Thrones' that i'm saving for that moment of ... 'quality time' /sic

The good side is : once you've taken it.  You are homefree for 2days.  You might stumble a bit in the void of your life, bored to death.  But there's no struggle in your head for the choice of drinking.  It's not possible, point final.  Craving emerges in a random moment of the day : ploof , gone, it's not possible, no whining about it.

they advice to take it every morning as soon as you wake up when your will is still high.  In bad cases you should take it in sight of your life-partner(if you have one).  They can allso implant it into your arm which gives doses evry day for 6months.  I read that some heavy alcoholics flipped out after a while , drank anyway -> hospital.